Advice needed regarding Record Hand Plane re-finishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Gary,

First of all I would like to apologize for reviving an old thread. However, I am in de process of restoring a pre WWII Record 4 1/2 plane. Could you please tell me which Rust-oleum paint/stove enamel (type and colour) you used for yours? The Rust-oleum website only lists RAL colours and I have not been able to find a decent match between RAL and BS colours yet.

Kind regards,

Arjan

StayAngry1970":c2zushft said:
Hello Gary,

First of all I would like to apologize for reviving an old thread. However, I am in de process of restoring a pre WWII Record 4 1/2 plane. Could you please tell me which Rust-oleum paint/stove enamel (type and colour) you used for yours? The Rust-oleum website only lists RAL colours and I have not been able to find a decent match between RAL and BS colours yet.

Kind regards,

Arjan

I'd not worry unduly over reviving this thread. It's still an ongoing project, but health issues have led to delays in taking things further with pictures and more detail concerning the process.

BS110 was Record's original colour specification and I used Rust-oleum "Combicolour 7300" colour matched to BS110.

When contacting a paint stockist/supplier, simply request details on enamel paints matching BS110.

I hope this helps. :wink:

Hello Gary,

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Hopefully you get well enough to work on your project again, soon.

Thanks for the additional information on the paint you used. Unfortunately, suppliers who can colour match BS colours are hard to find over here and it is even harder to find someone who colour matches Rust-oleum paint, so I decided to opt for Plasti-kote. It should be more readily available, although still from sources in the UK and not in The Netherlands. Luckily, I am not entirely after historical accuracy, which would require the use of cellulose paint, anyway. I want to restore my 1930's Record as close to the original as possible and then put it to good use.

I read in one of your previous posts that you gave your son two of your restored planes to test drive the coatings on each plane. Were there any notable differences between the two?

Kind regards,

Arjan

StayAngry1970":bhr8d28p said:
Hello Gary,

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Hopefully you get well enough to work on your project again, soon.

Thanks for the additional information on the paint you used. Unfortunately, suppliers who can colour match BS colours are hard to find over here and it is even harder to find someone who colour matches Rust-oleum paint, so I decided to opt for Plasti-kote. It should be more readily available, although still from sources in the UK and not in The Netherlands. Luckily, I am not entirely after historical accuracy, which would require the use of cellulose paint, anyway. I want to restore my 1930's Record as close to the original as possible and then put it to good use.

I read in one of your previous posts that you gave your son two of your restored planes to test drive the coatings on each plane. Were there any notable differences between the two?

Kind regards,

Arjan

Thank you for your kind words.

I'll see if I can sort out some photographs in the next day or so and you'll be able to see comparison between various Record hand planes before and after re-finishing in enamel BS110. I'm primarily a user rather than collector, but think you will find Record primarily used enamel paint for the majority of their production years.

Plasti-kote is perfectly fine application and colour-wise, but being water based is not quite as tough as Rust-oleum's spirit based product. Rust-oleum also covers in much the same way as the original finish, whereas Plasti-kote takes more coats before sufficient finish built up is capable of covering the minor casting flaws that are often found. Both finishes brush and flow far better than Hammerite and have shorter drying times (Although Plasti-kote doesn't harden off properly during the first five days) with the best of the three being IMHO Rust-oleum in BS110. :)

I'd honestly have more confidence in Rust-oleum as a finish that should be capable of outlasting the original enamelling/painwork.

I had been trying to get Rust-oleum's paint for a while and could not get it in less than 2.5 litres, which apart from costing rather a large amount, would be enough paint to cover all the record planes in the UK. So I went to my local paint supplier today and he told me they can mix a bs110 roundel blue machinery enamel, which he tells me is bomb proof and tough as nails for £8.00 for a litre. which isn't a bad price for a litre of good enamel paint that can be sprayed or brush painted. So looks like all my Record planes will be getting the "treatment" now. :lol:

That's a really good deal!

If I were you I would get some little tins from him...and sell it for £5 a tin on FleaBay....

Let us know how you get on...pics etc!

Jim

Hi Dangermouse
Where abouts have you managed to get the quote from for the Record Roundel Blue from? I have a few to do so might as well get some in stock.

Cheers
Pete

Petereggington":sk654pi5 said:
Hi Dangermouse
Where abouts have you managed to get the quote from for the Record Roundel Blue from? I have a few to do so might as well get some in stock.

Cheers
Pete

Hi Pete and welcome.

Having done a number of restorations....I firmly believe that Hammerite Dark Blue Smooth is the closest to Record Blue you can get.

Jim

Unfortunately "Hammerite Dark Blue Smooth" seems to have been discontinued - or at least at all the suppliers I've tried. :(

Petereggington":34zbok15 said:
Hi Dangermouse

Cheers
Pete

Hi Pete
It was my local paint supplier. They mix colours for vehicle sprayers. If you went to any paint supplier and asked them to mix you a Roundel Blue BS110 enamel they will do it for you and should be cheaper than B&Q.

Smithandallan sell industrial paints and will colour match to BS and RAL
go by the codes not the little sample colours in the charts. I had Reseda green Tractol from them and it matched well
they sell Tekaloid in Roundel blue
make sure you use the right thinner - Tractol uses xylene not white spirit - (Lidl Baufix and hammerite thinners are both xylene)
Matt

Latest posts

Back