Advice for Stud Wall between kitchen / living room

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have to build a small stud partition to separate a kitchen come living room space. I say small as the opening is 12ft across, where double doors will be fitted leaving a couple of feet where I need to build the small stud wall.

There is a concrete lintel or precast concrete of some sort dropping down from the ceiling. This lintel is around 5” wide. The odd thing is, the lower surface of this lintel, where I will screw on a head plate, is far from level. I mean across the width of it!!

How would you go about getting the head plate level? Just pack behind the head plate 2x4 with plastic shims?

Thanks

Hi there, yes take the easy route , other option is to cut the header to match the beam not to difficult with a bandsaw- you definitely don’t want to be chiselling into concrete 👍👍

Nothing wrong with making your own out of wood but plastic shims allow you to get the exact size by adding thicker or thinner shims as reqd + the speed at which i work I don’t need anything else to slow me down . In my experience plastic shims are more accurate and will not rot , or swell imo.

How out of level is it? Will the head piece be 2 ft or 12 ft? I would just bevel the head piece. Even if 12 ft it would not take too long with a plane or, if it is a long way out of level, an axe.

How out of level is it? Will the head piece be 2 ft or 12 ft? I would just bevel the head piece. Even if 12 ft it would not take too long with a plane or, if it is a long way out of level, an axe.
Jacob, is that you?!?

What gap is there in between the header plate and the lintel.

If less than 2" I'd just use expanding foam?

If more, then a header and another above with spacers?

Back