Acacia and Walnut Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Farrer

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a lot of fun making this, Its five and a half inches high, the finial is two inches tall and the box at its widest point is four inches. The Walnut is English, Juglans regia, and the box itself and the finial is False Acacia, or Black Locust aka Robinia.

All comments, good, bad, indifferent are all welcome, get off the fence and tell me what you really think!!

AcaciaandWalnutbox1.jpg

AcaciaandWalnutbox2.jpg

AcaciaandWalnutbox3.jpg

1st thoughts / impressions were frenchman with his berry on!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like the bowl, nice grain pattern although it looks like tear out but can see it hasn't. Nice finish too.
Undecided on the hat & finial tho but I don't know why, if that makes sense. I think because it looks quite 'squat' may be just the angle of the camera.

I think its a lovely piece of turning and finishing ,but I would agree with Mike the finial looks out of proportion to my eye . Maybe a 15/20 mm height would be better . But it's your piece so whatever suits you .

Lovely box and as a beginner I cannot speak about technique, only about the design and for me the finial is out of proportion, too large and detracts from the rest of the box.
Still like to be able to do it though.

Andy

Thanks for your comments, I take onboard what you all say about the finial being too big. The reason it is that big (thick) is that It's one of the first I've turned and I had this vision of it snapping, and also the camera angle does make it look slightly bigger than it is.

If you can get your hands on any green robinia I'd recommend the turning experience, its beautiful. The wood is very strong but turns easily and finishes like a dream and hardly moves at all when drying. Thanks for your comments, I sincerely welcome all criticism, well most of it; unless it comes from Lesmahgog!!

from Lesmahgog!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where on earth is lesmahgog Neil ???
Doubt anyone here has ever heard of it, sounds welsh to me, where men are men & sheep are scared :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

stevenw1963":1bunkabq said:
from Lesmahgog!!

Doubt anyone here has ever heard of it, sounds welsh to me, where men are men & sheep are scared :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lesmahagow, or however you spell the place - where you live in case you hadn't noticed!

Neil Farrer":3155bqyn said:
stevenw1963":3155bqyn said:
from Lesmahgog!!

Lesmahagow, or however you spell the place - where you live in case you hadn't noticed!

Even after the explanation, I'm still none the wiser. Am I just being thick?

Phil

Phil,

No your not being thick at all, I was taking the opportunity of having a dig at Steven who I know reasonably well.

Phil,

No your not being thick at all, I was taking the opportunity of having a dig at Steven who I know reasonably well.
Phil.

Phil,

Neil likes to take a dig at me at every opportunity he can - on account of me being younger, more handsome & a LOT thinner than he is
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But, as Neil says, it's only friendly banter & the place Neil mentions is where I live.

Neil Farrer":45giuks9 said:
If you can get your hands on any green robinia I'd recommend the turning experience, its beautiful. The wood is very strong but turns easily and finishes like a dream and hardly moves at all when drying.

Neil, from what you say, I presume you applied the finish while the wood was still green and that it took ok, if so what did you use?

Andy

stevenw1963":3sv04y5b said:
Phil,

Phil.

Phil,

Neil likes to take a dig at me at every opportunity he can - on account of me being younger, more handsome & a LOT thinner than he is
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But, as Neil says, it's only friendly banter & the place Neil mentions is where I live.

Ah! Tuned in now. :lol:

Phil

andersonec":rw344al0 said:
Neil Farrer":rw344al0 said:
If you can get your hands on any green robinia I'd recommend the turning experience, its beautiful. The wood is very strong but turns easily and finishes like a dream and hardly moves at all when drying.

Neil, from what you say, I presume you applied the finish while the wood was still green and that it took ok, if so what did you use?

Andy

Andy,

I used a couple of coats of sanding sealer and woodwax. Seems to work fine.

Neil

Latest posts

Back