A "thankyou" session

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laird

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just finished the latest 5 week stint of radiotherapy (50 ferry crossings, 2,250 miles driving and 150 bursts of gamma to the head - beats caffeine for starting the day off) my thoughts turned to the "thankyou" for the girls who had helped to bolt me down, align the machine etc. every day. Biscuits or choccies are traditional, but I thought something longer lasting might be appropriate. So out came the wee lathe (thanks Allen)

First, for the lovely Irish lass who plotted the aiming points so as to miss anything "critical", what else but Irish bog oak.

Then for the cheerful morning squad.

From the left, rosewood, axehead, yew, olive, karri, purpleheart, walnut, walnut, bog oak, olive, bocote, maple, and teak.
They went down well.

Well done laird, shows a depth of gratitude that won't easily be forgotten.

Nice one, something like that will go down well as those people are often ignored as they are 'only doing their job' but deserve all the praise and recognition they can get.

Pete

A lovely gesture Laird and so much longer lasting than chocolates or biscuits. I'll bet they were delighted :D

Beautiful stuff, and good to see folk being appreciated.
But just as important that you continue to improve in health (can't see much need for improvement in turning skills!)

Hi laird

Pleased to see the lathe is being put to good use :wink:

Lovely looking pens that I am sure will be cherished by the ladies 8)

Sorry to hear about your health problems I had no idea you were unwell :(

Hope everything works out for you

I had the S-it scared out of me recently with a health issue , but thankfully they then changed there minds and said it was not what was originally diagnosed :lol: phew !!!!!

Much Karma to you for the thoughtful thanks, I hope all goes well for you

Regards

Laurence

What a lovely thought. I'll bet there was some backroom fighting over those - especially 'axhead'. Never heard of it.

I add my wishes to the rest of the 'lads' for a complete recovery.

Thankyou for your comments, well wishes and pm's.
Lightweeder - axehead is a nice pink wood, but awfy hard and sore on tools. The only bits I've found come from the Vanuatu Islands on the Pacific Rim, but I'm sure it must exist elsewhere in that part of the globe.
Blister - wee lathe - yes it's had a lot of use, thanks again. Workshop - I'll put some WIPs up when I sort my files out. It must be one of the longest builds in history :D I ordered four and a half tons of Estonian pine to build it last August. The idea was take down the tool shed and the garden shed, throw down some foundations, and build a workshop on the footprint. Move everything out of the concrete floored, brick and slate garage (terrible condensation problems in winter). Then I got told I had a large brain tumor. I went into hospital, the wood arrived, 14 months later I'm nearly finished my 2 month project :shock:
My head - surgery took out a lot of the tumor last September/October. Left me with a bunch of "for life" side effects that I have to learn to work around. (No colour vision in one eye, no contrast, no pituitary - so lotsa b*&%$y steroids - constant tinnitus - both sides, no taste, no smell etc.). It also left 2 pieces of tumor. A couple of efforts have failed to shift these bits, hence the latest gamma zaps. I'll find out in 6 months if it's worked (currently I feel like a slowmo Hiroshima victim, but that should start improving in a week or so). The option was 95% chance of further surgery within 4 years.
This is not an appeal for sympathy (although I hope my Secrete Santa target realises why he/she's probably going to get a bought pressie :oops: ) I'm fine.

To consider the needs and wishes of others when one is sufering themselves is a sign of deep wisdom and unbound courage.

I hope that your future is filled with much hapinness and joy, the likes of which I'm sure your pens will bring to others.

Aw the best,

Lee. :wink:

Back