A Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me. All my working Bailey pattern planes are Record.

But I use wooden planes quite a lot for prep work (2 scrubs and a jack)

BugBear

Hello,

I own and use the following; 03, 04 (2 of) 04 1/2 (2 of) 05, 05 1/2, 06, 07, 010, T5, 093, 2506S, 044, 050, 405, 071....I think that is the lot. I've had many others pass through my hands until I settled on the best ones to keep. My number 8 is a 1910 patent Stanley. I would like a Record 08 to replace it, but probably won't. I've never had Record block planes, for some reason, they are Stanley too. I might look around for some Records to be completist, but I do use my planes, I'm not a collector, outside what I use. I think I prefer Records over Stanley, but I own a good Stanley 4 1/2 and a 4, I also had a very good 5 1/2. To be honest they compare well to the Records, so maybe it is just a personal preference. I remember my dad having a Record 04 1/2 when I was young. Someone knocked it off his bench and it cracked so he replaced it with a new Stanley 4. It must have been about 1976 and the Stanley was no where near the quality of his Record, so maybe this affects my preference.

Mike.

me too, but I suspect that this will be true for many Brits, just because Records are so plentiful.

I realize this may be just unconscious bias on my part, but I am convinced there are more vintage Record bench planes available in the UK than Stanley. Does anyone know who sold the most?

woodbrains":3k6j3nbl said:
Hello,

I own and use the following; 03, 04 (2 of) 04 1/2 (2 of) 05, 05 1/2, 06, 07, 010, T5, 093, 2506S, 044, 050, 405, 071....I think that is the lot. I've had many others pass through my hands until I settled on the best ones to keep. My number 8 is a 1910 patent Stanley. I would like a Record 08 to replace it, but probably won't. I've never had Record block planes, for some reason, they are Stanley too. I might look around for some Records to be completist, but I do use my planes, I'm not a collector, outside what I use. I think I prefer Records over Stanley, but I own a good Stanley 4 1/2 and a 4, I also had a very good 5 1/2. To be honest they compare well to the Records, so maybe it is just a personal preference. I remember my dad having a Record 04 1/2 when I was young. Someone knocked it off his bench and it cracked so he replaced it with a new Stanley 4. It must have been about 1976 and the Stanley was no where near the quality of his Record, so maybe this affects my preference.

Mike.

I have a Record 08 with a Hock replacement and 3 full-length original Record irons... maybe we can work something out some day!

Records mostly in 4 1/2, 5 1/2, 6 and 7 but I do have Stanleys in 4 1/2, 5 1/2 and 7, block plane is a QS which I bought at a show years ago when they were cheap. Spokeshaves are Stanley and need fettling.

My 5 1/2 is Record, the rest are Stanley, Woden or Marples. That's the way they came at the time. The Record is the only one bought new, and my (not the) oldest. I had the Record for about 15 years before I had it flattened by a machine shop - it is perfect.

A 044 plough and a 073 shoulder plane. I used to have a 05 jack, but it has been replaced by a much older Stanley.

I have the following record bench planes 7, 6, 51/2, three 5s. Stanley 4 and 41/2. I always think my records are better than my stanleys, maybe just luck of the draw. Other record planes of mine, 071 router, no80 scrapper, little bullnose ting. Only ever bought one new plane, a premium Chinesium jobbie (QS) at 70 quid it was double what I payed for any other plane, ironically it's also the one that has the hardest life, knocked into bilges, dropped in the river (retrieved with magnet) etc.
Paddy

Never noticed a shortage of record talk on this board. Would venture to guess that it's a lot more common than the "premium brands".

(the pristine record 8 that I got last year from the UK cost me a fair fraction of what a premium brand would, as did the sorby 7 - curious if record made the sorby 7 or if it was made by someone else).

I've got 3 record planes, but use them little. One stayset 4 (just out of curiosity), a 5 1/2 that an English friend wanted to throw in the trash (it was his dad's plane...sentimental guy he is....I replaced the broken wood on it and refurbished it and am waiting for him to take it back - he has refused so far), and the aforementioned 8, which is a pearl - perhaps by chance that it's just dead on, but it is).

(I thought I'd check my assumption above - search results return the following)

Record Plane: 2340 hits
Stanley Plane: 2870 hits
Veritas Plane: 1960 hits
Lee Valley Plane: 377 hits (probably some cross contamination with Veritas)
Lie Nielsen Plane: 753 results

The cheap stuff wins in numbers, even though there's no chance to make any of the "new from record this year..." type posts. Closer than I thought, though, with the veritas search, and surprising to see the difference between that and lie nielsen - could shoulder to our (US) boutiques because of the revolutionary war, or maybe the Canadian fondness for the queen?

Latest posts

Back