a question for bob smalser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtydeeds

Established Member
Reaction score
a question that has bugged me for years (im just a capenter) is how on earth do you fit out a ship, or boat when its in dry dock

when a ship is in dry dock the sole? is NEVER EVER going to be chocked up level fore and aft AND level side to side (port and starbaord)

to exactly the same way as it is when its floating

so............................... regardless of the swanson level in the photos

how do you sort this out IE so that when the ship is out of dry dock and floating everthing remains vertical and horizontal

"Square" is always a line athwartships from measurements down the inside of each side of the hull equidistant from the stem.

"Plumb" is usually a line 90 degrees to the floors, the framing members the sole are attached to. Plumbing is one of the few uses for a framing square, but better measurements are often obtained fore or aft from a bulkhead installed during the original build. Those were supposed to be installed plumb with the waterline, and if the ballast has changed and they are no longer, it's usually better to match the lean of the existing bulkheads.

thank you bob

i understood the square immediatly

but i had to read the plumb bit 3 times before it made sense

Bod has answered it pretty comprehensively. But there is another approach, many boats years ago were built on beaches or backwaters, all these beaches had different slope angles, these slope angles are reflected in the shapes of keels, skegs and anything to do with the depth of boat at the stern.

So this is why you have so many varying types of boats around anyone country, just think of Severn Trolls, Looe Luggers, even Thames barges and Humber keels, all so very different to each other mainly because of where they were built (how steep the beach was)

Are you saying that there aren't any trolls under that there bridge? :shock: If that's the case what's the toll for then ?

Cheers Mike

the cheapest toll bridge ive ever been over is in selby

it cost one single "new" penny

the tolls are collected only one or two days a year because the company is prevented by law from making a profit

it makes for one hell of a traffic jamb, all the way north back to york.......... usually

i dont know how far south the jamb extends

Back