A new venture! A new show!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petercharlesfagg

Established Member
Reaction score
As a member of the committee for the Tudor Rose Woodturners I thought everyone might appreciate knowing that Tudor Rose are planning a 2-day show for April 2010.

It will be called Wood-Works @ Daventry.

It will be held in the Saxon Suite a part of the Daventry Leisure Centre.

Eight midlands based clubs have been requested to attend plus Twelve companies amongst whom are Trend, Axminster, Ashley Iles, etc.

Professional turners i.e. John Berkeley, Guy Ravine, John Johnson and Richard Findley will be demonstrating their skills.

We are hoping to make it an annual event, but as we are all well aware if few visitors bother to attend then this will be a one-off!

Precise dates will be posted shortly.

Regards, Peter.

petercharlesfagg (UK)":2xwmfsnp said:
As a member of the committee for the Tudor Rose Woodturners I thought everyone might appreciate knowing that Tudor Rose are planning a 2-day show for April 2010.

It will be called Wood-Works @ Daventry.

It will be held in the Saxon Suite a part of the Daventry Leisure Centre.

Eight midlands based clubs have been requested to attend plus Twelve companies amongst whom are Trend, Axminster, Ashley Iles, etc.

Professional turners i.e. John Berkeley, Guy Ravine, John Johnson and Richard Findley will be demonstrating their skills.

We are hoping to make it an annual event, but as we are all well aware if few visitors bother to attend then this will be a one-off!

Precise dates will be posted shortly.

Regards, Peter.

Peter

I hope all goes well for your show , but please make sure it IS right first time , if not it will be a one off show

It is hard to get a glowing review , and easy for people to make adverse comments

I know from experiences on running events

If I can be of any help please PM me

Allen

Blister said:
but please make sure it IS right first time:-

I know from experiences on running events

If I can be of any help please PM me

Allen

Interesting thought, how can we make sure that it is right first time?

Secondly, if you feel you are in a position to help in some way please PM me?

Regards, Peter.

is[/b] right first time?

I do not have any experience organising wood turning shows, but I have attending a few wood related events and I have organised fan based conventions. Off the top of my head these are teh things I would seriously thing about:

Advertising: If no one knows it is there they will not come (no matter what Kevin Costner says). Advertise online; at turning clubs and shops (do not restrict it to just the local ones, people will frequently travel over 100 miles to get to this sort of thing). Put up signs on major roads nearby to catch passers by (A4/A5 does not cut it, you need A0 signs or you can not read it at 30MPH), be warned there are restrictions on how close to junctions you are allowed to post signs these days. In your advertising make it clear there is no door fee.

Directions: when attending anything of a decent size I expect to see Yellow AA signs, or at least A4/A3 hand done signs out to the major road junctions. If done properly this can also act as partial advertising. The last time we did it was about 10 years ago, but we paid £300 for AA signs put up al over Manchester. If you are not charging an entry fee this may be difficult to justify.

Space: There is a fine line between too much space that makes the whole place feel empty and under utilised; and everything so crammed together that you have to push past people to get anywhere. Yandles is about as close together as you want people to get.

Parking: One of the reenactors markets almost failed on the first year because the exhibition space had everone parking on grass... In October... People needed to be pulled out by tractor. ensure that you have sufficient parking for all of the exhibitors (they will be bringing vans) and all of the public. If you are in a city centre then you can make use of NCP car parks, otherwise you may find that try to find a parking space, fail and then leave.

Food: If you are not in a city centre then you will need to make sure that there is enough food to keep people in the building, otherwise they will leave as soon as they get hungry. I have never found a venue that has sufficient internal catering to accomodate a large number of attendees who all want lunch between 12 and 2. You might not have a choice depending on your venue (they may insist that they do all of the catering), if you can get external caterers then a burger van, or saugage in a bun, or a hot potatoe van are welcome sights to hungry punters.

Tea and Coffee: People always want easy access to drinks, external vans are easiest from your point of view as they are geared up to dealing with people quickly. If you are having guest presenters then you will make them happy by providing them with food and drinks throughout the day.

Quiet areas: People are going to want a quiet place to sit and have a natter with their friends. They are also going to want to have somewhere to mull over potential purchases without being in peoples way.

Overnight: You mention that it is 2 days, what are the security arrangements for overnight. the exhibitors and traders will have a lot of stock (and hopefully a lot of money (let them know where the banks are so they can deposit day one's takings early). what are the sleeping arrangements, are you putting people up in B&B, or are they making their own arrangements.

Set up and take down: Have you allowed sufficient time for the traders to set up before the start of the first day (it will take longer than you think, especially if they are all bringing stock in through the same door). do they need to up turn up the day before (if you are opening at 9am on Saturday then they will need to start setting up at about 6am).

Toilets: Most places do not have enough, think abotu portaloos. Get them cleaned regularly, there si nothing worse than going into a loo and there being no paper or a blockage (this applies to both site and portable toilets.

My thanks whoever you are for the information.

Having seen all the preparations and possibilities written out on a 12 page document I know that the Sub-Committee have 99% of the items mentioned, covered.

It is heartening though to see that others are willing to offer their assistance in making anothers efforts worthwhile.

Regards, Peter.

Dealers: Make sure that you know the space requirements for each dealer and where they are all going in the room. Do they need tables provided, or are they bringing their own stands. How deep does the area for each dealer need to be to accommodate shelving behind the tables. Do they need power, if so how much (lights, tills, running tools etc). Do they need a phone connection for credit cards? I am going to assume that as you have already stated that they are coming that you have come to a financial arrangement. I would say that 6' is the absolute minimum for aisles between rows of dealers, 10' would be better.

Timetable: If you are running tutorials and demonstrations is there sufficient space around each one for a decent number of people to watch. Are the demonstrations timed, or freeform throughout the day? If they are timed then allow for overruns, and people moving from one to another. Make sure that the noise from one demonstration does not drown out others. do the demonstrators need PA equipment?

organization: Make sure that everyone on the organization committee knows what everyone else is doing. benevolent dictatorship is often the best way of getting something done. Make sure that there is a good communication flow between the organizers and the guests, traders, and punters before the event. Everyone should know well before hand what is expected of them and where and when they are expected to be at places. On the day, make sure that there is a contact sheet that says who is responsible for what; what their mobile phone number is; and if possible a photo of them (most communication will probably have been done by phone/email up to this point). Give a copy of this contact sheet to every trader and demonstrator. Have a second contact sheet with the name and phone number of each trader and demonstrator and make sure that you have it with you. It is also a good idea to have organizers being obviously identifiable (T-shirt with "Woodworks@Daventry" on the front and "Organiser" on the back in 3" high letters will do the job, or even just borrow a bunch of florescent bibs with "Marshall" or "Steward" on them. Give everyone a nametag.

Clean up: After everyone has gone home someone has to tidy up. If you want to get invited back the following year make sure that you bag up rubbish and clear away tables and chairs. As you are doing demonstrations you will also need to clear up the shavings and dust.

Take them out to dinner: I do not know the etiquette for wood work events, but for Fan events you were expected to take the guests and important traders out to dinner to thank them for turning up. (The traders were often taken to a less expensive resteraunt than the guests ;) )

petercharlesfagg (UK)":26ky5ehc said:
My thanks whoever you are for the information.

Having seen all the preparations and possibilities written out on a 12 page document I know that the Sub-Committee have 99% of the items mentioned, covered.

I am sorry if I am teaching Granny to suck eggs, but I have known a number of events where the organisers thought that a phone call to a couple of contributors and booking a hall was all that was required, and then they get all confused when no one turned up (including the contributors who had forgotten the single phone call 6 months earlier).

Latest posts

Back