A great Christmas present for men

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christoph clark

Established Member
Reaction score
If you don't know what to tell the other half what you want for Christmas Marks and Spencers are selling Made to Measure shirts from £30
You have a choice of collars, cuffs and fabric. Delivery is free and within 28 days. A steel when others charge arond £100 for this kind of service..
http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/node/n/63593031/279-1476878-8108825?amp;mnSBrand=core

159882722._V240638623_.jpg

Paul Chapman":3bp6mcea said:
woodbloke":3bp6mcea said:
Where's the punch line? :?

That'll be when 'er in doors says: "£30 - blimey, I wasn't going to spend that much on you" :shock:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

...and you can get a lot of socks for £30 :lol: :lol: - Rob

These shirts were in the Telegraph yesterday which claimed that they were close to Saville Row in quality. I've had shirts made to measure in HK and they really do feel good to wear. Unfortunately, I am such a scruff that it isn't worth the candle - I'll stick with the off the peg M&S Oxford weave.

Also in the Telegraph yesterday, and more importantly, Mr Kipling came out as king of the mince pies beating Harrods and Waitrose. That said, so did Netto, Aldi, Asda and Tesco :lol:

Andy

These shirts were in the Telegraph yesterday

A Marks and Spencer £30 made-to-measure shirt was a better fit than a Savile Row version costing more than five times the amount, according to a report published today.

The snapshot test by consumer watchdog Which? found the £165.50 effort from a bespoke tailor on Savile Row was “baggy, lacked shape and its sleeves were too long”.

The M&S version was “in a different league”, winning the test for comfort and fit.

A model with “unusual” measurements — 5ft 6in with “quite a thick neck” — compared the M&S made-to-measure shirt with an off-the-peg version from the same retailer, a Tailor Store shirt and the fourth from 40 Savile Row.

The made-to-measure shirts were ordered online from M&S, 40 Savile Row and the Tailor Store by submitting a number of measurements.

The labels were then removed and the model and an expert from bespoke tailors Redwood and Feller assessed each shirt, ranking each out of 10.

The M&S made-to-measure scored eight, the Tailor Store shirt seven, the 40 Savile Row version four points while the M&S off-the-peg did not win any points at all.

Which.co.uk editor Jess Ross said: "Treating the man in your life to an extra special shirt this Christmas needn’t be as expensive as it sounds.

"It’s worth paying a little bit extra for a made-to-measure service, but you don’t have to fork out for top of the range brands to get the best quality and fit."

A spokeswoman for 40 Savile Row said the shirt was more expensive because it was made of two-ply Italian cotton and had been hand-made in Northern Ireland.

What about the mince pies?

Budget stores performed well in the latest mince pie test carried out by comparison magazine Which?, released today.

Mince pies at Netto were the cheapest on the test (£1.19), while Aldi also performed well (£1.49) and gained a Best Buy accolade.

But Marks and Spencer performed best on the magazine's quality barometer, with its pies getting a test score of 80%.

Editor Jess Ross said: "Nothing epitomises Christmas more than that first bite into a mince pie. And there's no need to worry about being Scrooge if you opt for a cheaper pack - the budget stores, like Netto and Aldi, are giving expensive brands a run for their money."

Some pies failed to make the grade when being tested. Sainsbury's Taste the Difference, Harrods Luxury Mince Pies and the Waitrose All Butter variety all gained only three stars for taste by the panel.

One of my girlfriends from years ago used to work in Mr Kiplings development department, and they had a similar shock when they did a blind test of the mince pies that they produced. Not only did they produce their own-brand pies but also quite a few for other supermarkets and other stores, including some of the "luxury" brands.

The one that came out top was the one they did for the cheapo store, something like Pound Stretcher, though I can't quite remember which one is was.

The number of cakes she brought back(samples and free cakes they got) put me off cakes for quite a while. Though I managed to put that behind me and I'll be making the christmas cake and pudding this weekend, and in a couple of weeks I'll be making my own mince pies - much, much nicer.

I've always wanted a tailor made shirt but could never afford one! I figure £30 has gotta be pretty good!

I've got a 17" neck, 42" chest and 34" waist.

All the off-the-peg shirts I've ever got either fit my neck and are hooge around my chest and waist or fit my waist and turn my face purple! :oops:

I only wear shirts on poncey occasions, so a nice one should last a while!

Cheers for that, Christopher!

Bryn :D

Latest posts

Back