A funny old day in the workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBoyd

Established Member
Reaction score
It started off strange with the iPod on shuffle mode only playing female vocalists and Herman Brood (now dead Dutch Rock mega star) all day - weird

Then I kept on getting humps in the middle of the sycamore board edges I was trying to joint on my jointer , I resorted to the trusty Bedrock 608 , but was some what perplexed was I rechecked my method, tested the tables, sharpened the knifes all to no avail.

Oh well I'm blessed with another whole day in there tomorrow so lets see if I can get back to my old ways with a good straight square edge I can glue.

We shall see, maybe all the bio rhythms were down today , who knows

AndyBoyd":3fketfen said:
It started off strange with the iPod on shuffle mode only playing female vocalists and Herman Brood (now dead Dutch Rock mega star) all day - weird

Then I kept on getting humps in the middle of the sycamore board edges I was trying to joint on my jointer , I resorted to the trust Bedrock 608 , but was some what perplexed as I rechecked my method, tested the tables, sharpened the knifes all to no avail.

Oh well I'm blessed with another whole day in there tomorrow so lets see if I can get back to my old ways with a good straight square edge I can glue.

We shall see, maybe all the bio rhythms were down today , who knows

Yeah , looks like you'll have to change your tune . :wink:

AndyBoyd":o3q1jw9t said:
Then I kept on getting humps in the middle of the sycamore board edges I was trying to joint on my jointer...

Hmmm... Is it like snipe but, instead of being an inch or so long it's half the board length? I get that sometimes on one side of my planer. It may be that the tables or knives aren't set as accurately as I had thought... Then again, I don't get it all the time and I suspect it could be down to technique; passing hands safely over the cutter block as the wood reaches the outfeed... :?

By the way, what speakers are you using with your iPod? It's something I'm considering as there's too much c**p on the radio. :)

I'm not sure what's causing the bump, will attack it with a fresh head tomorrow - but I'm starting to suspect my technique...

I have one of those donut shaped JBL speaker/amp things for my iPod, small compact and rather good quality, bought it a few years ago at some airport in the far east I think.

The only way to get a straight board is to let the wood listen to
Gracie Fields
or
George Formby

I thought you would have known that
:lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:
mike

Hi Andy,

I can sympathize with your day as I had exactly the same. I have been given some 8" wide oak boards to make up some shelves for a friend and having spent hours trying to get a flat surface and square edge failed miserably.

What I was left with was 5" wide boards with a hump midway that was more like a seesaw than anything else and this was only because I stopped before I turned the board into a bag of sawdust.

Can anyone please give me some tips on using a planer thicknesser to get a straight flat edge without turning my boards into tooth picks, particularly when there is a hump in the middle of the board on its edge.

Andy
I'm always amazed at the random choices you get when you put the iPod on shuffle - it always seems to find tracks I had no idea I owned :lol:

The straight edge thing - somedays it not meant to be. Try it tomorrow, its not worth beating yourself up.

Hope this helps

Philly :D

NewtoWood":1bv4bux4 said:
Hi Andy,

I can sympathize with your day as I had exactly the same. I have been given some 8" wide oak boards to make up some shelves for a friend and having spent hours trying to get a flat surface and square edge failed miserably.

What I was left with was 5" wide boards with a hump midway that was more like a seesaw than anything else and this was only because I stopped before I turned the board into a bag of sawdust.

Can anyone please give me some tips on using a planer thicknesser to get a straight flat edge without turning my boards into tooth picks, particularly when there is a hump in the middle of the board on its edge.

Are you saying the 'hump' is in the edge (narrow dimension) or the face (wide dimension)?

Bob

NewtoWood":16w9enho said:
Hi Andy,

Practice on some scrap timber, I suspect its your operating technique.
Get your left hand over the far side of the blade and push timber to outfeed table as soon as you can.

Hi Bob,

The hump is on the narrow edge face and the see saw edges are some 1" to 1 1/2" higher than the hump (I hope that makes sense) and I am using a record PT260 planer thicknesser.

With what sounds like such a pronounced hump you need to deal with that first.

Draw a line on the broad face of the wood that will be be parallel to the best compromise of a final board looking at both edges. This will be your reference line. moving towards your problem edge, Draw a line parallel to the reference line, as far away from it as possible but making sure all of the line stays on the wood.
Cut the lumps and bumps off with a table saw, bandsaw, handsaw whatever you have.

Then make the concave board face flat on the planer trying not to push down too much to artificially flatten the board. Once you have this flat and smooth, flip it over 180 degrees and flatten the other side in the thicknesser.

If you have a lot to take off to get to your desired final thickness, then endeavour to take a similar amount off each face.

Go back to the planer, check the fence is at 90 degrees, and joint the narrow edge at 90 degrees to the wide faces until you have one smooth edge.

Set your tablesaw fence to a mm or so wider than the final board width.
Rip cut the waste off.

Back to the planer and joint the final edge with fine cuts to the required dimensions.

hth

Bob

Grinding One":12ie86d6 said:
Stick it in the sun for a bit,if it cups badly you got a bad board,but sometimes it draws the cup the other way

Sun :lol: :lol: :lol: What sun

Davon

Quote;
Back to the planer and joint the final edge with fine cuts to the required dimensions.

I usually am satisfied to put it back in the thicknesser again for the final thin edge. But each to his own.

devonwoody":1kzgx5im said:
Quote;

I usually am satisfied to put it back in the thicknesser again for the final thin edge. But each to his own.

Well possibly, but Newtowood was talking about 8" wide boards and I did know how thick they were. I'd not want to put a board with maybe an aspect ratio of 8:1 though a thicknesser on its narrow edge.

But as you say each to his own.

Bob

Today the iPod only played David Bowie or Terry Pratchett Audio book chapters - curiouser and curiouser

On the sycamore front - I checked again the planer - all seemed fine - ran the edge (not the face) with the bumps and hey presto after 2 passes they were good enough to join - blown if I know what I was up to yesterday but, we have a bookmatched board now ready to make the door for the right hand side of the cupboard

Thanks everyone for your hints trips and music choices

Thanks guys for your help and advice and clearly I need alot more practice to master this piece of kit.

Apologies to Andy for semi hijacking your thread :oops:

Can't help with the hump, but my wife and I have 2 ipods and an iphone between us, and have completely given up trying to fathom "random" or shuffle setting.

When my wife used to travel at the same time every day, the ipod would play the same tunes every day (a small section of her collection).

We travelled to Scotland from yorkshire, and for the first 2 hours we only heard 70's music (not so bad, but again, a small subset of the whole)

Sometimes we seem to only get say, solo girl singers. Or tracks from the same album interspersed by other tracks, with 9gb of music the chances of 2 tracks from the same album randomly appearing within 2 tracks of each other must be massive.

They are still one of the best inventions of recent years though, aren't they?

Back