A fine saw maker in England

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't know how many of you visit backsaw.net frequently so I link to it here. Lui from herfordshire presents his wonderful saw. Really intersting as are his other topics. A must read for every (eventually future) saw maker.

fig24.jpg

http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?p=823& ... 58#post823

Cheers
Pedder

Nice link Pedder and even nicer to see fellow makers promoting each other!

Long may this carry on!

Boy...that ripsaw is super aggressive...you can almost FEEL it cutting in the picture!

It is also interesting that the style of choice for handles is similar to those poplular in the mid 1800

I think the style of that period is hard to match.

Jim

Great craftsmanship, you can see the pride of the maker in the first glance, seeing the meticulous construction control confirms the accumulated knowledge, care and attention that has gone into it.

Hi Pedder, many thanks for the link, absolutely fascinating!

I can confirm that laser cutting will micro-harden the cut edge enough to make it un-filable, even when done with a relatively low power laser.

Thanks again,

Hi Peter,

yes they do (the first time I broke a saw while setting). The goodnews is: Bake them in the oven at 250° C half an hour until blue and they will be RC48-52 again.

The bad news: A oven at 70cm diagonal is really expensive.

Cheers
Pedder

pedder":r8jn87t4 said:
Hi Peter,

yes they do (the first time I broke a saw while setting). The goodnews is: Bake them in the oven at 250° C half an hour until blue and they will be RC48-52 again.

Cheers
Pedder

Hot oil bath?

Nice looking saw in the pic, and the medallion is very nice.

Stu.

Great saws - my Weber gas BBQ would cope with that length?

It works by convection so is a possibility - another TUIT?

Rod

pedder":3tzo4r4v said:
Hi Peter,

Cheers
Pedder

Hi Pedder, thanks for that, although I wonder if your numbers are a bit out?

If I remember correctly, 250C is more of a dark straw/brown colour. Blue would be more like 300C.

Also, to achieve RC48-52 would need more like 400C.

Thanks again,

These are the visual tempering guides I use.
tempering.gif

Attachments

• tempering.gif
    tempering.gif
    19.1 KB · Views: 809
Peter T":3gj6mbtb said:
pedder":3gj6mbtb said:
Hi Peter,

Cheers
Pedder

If I remember correctly, 250C is more of a dark straw/brown colour. Blue would be more like 300C.

Thanks again,

Hi Peter, sorry, I'm a bit late. 250°C (wich is the maximum on my oven) made the saw blade blue an fileable. I don't own a thermometer to test the real heat.

Cheers Pedder

pedder":193en9gi said:
Peter T":193en9gi said:
pedder":193en9gi said:
Hi Peter,

Cheers
Pedder

Thanks again,

Hi Peter, sorry, I'm a bit late. 250°C (wich is the maximum on my oven) made the saw blade blue an fileable. I don't own a thermometer to test the real heat.

Cheers Pedder

So long as it works, who cares what the actual temperature is :D

Thanks,

Beautiful saw! I found the local supplier for the steel here in Finland and I've been meaning to pick up enough for a few saws - I've got some nice dry beech and maple for handles and plenty of brass sawnuts..

Latest posts

Back