A few planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

János

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

tools.jpg

These are some handplanes, I have made over the years for myself. From back to front: a high angle, double iron smoother, with brass sole, a toothing plane, a scraping plane, and a mitre plane (or a low angle smoother, it depends on your point of view :wink: ), with 32 deg bed angle, adjustable mouth, and a double iron. These were made in the traditional way, but I laminated the wood for beauty (I like the look), and because did not have thick enough maple for doing them from one piece.

By,

János

Attachments

• tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 1,656
I think I speak for everyone else whom has/will view this thread, but, we need more pics!!!!! from every concievable angle......please! :mrgreen: . They look like really nice planes, very stylish and contemporary (ie the very simple forms, lines and lamination).

Well done that man! =D>

Wow! I had a hard enough time trying to make my first plane, and that's only a simple beech jack plane!

I agree... More pictures!!!!

Anthony

Hello,

I do not have much pictures about these tools, as I have made them for use, and some of them was made more than a decade ago. But a few images,just for you:
t1.jpg

This plane has a brass sole plate. I bonded it into place with epoxy, but the bond started to fail after about two years, so I put in a few countershrunk brass screws. They hold well.
t2.jpg

t3.jpg

The iron is hard to set in this scraper plane as the wedge and blade are upright, so the traditional way of "hit it to set it" of standard wooden planes does not work well.
t4.jpg

t5.jpg

t6.jpg

t7.jpg

I use these tools in my daily work, and learned a lot through their making. Making your own tools is great fun, making furniture with them is great pride. And you would be able to tell that you have made a plane on par with LN, LV, or Japanese planes, and it costed as much as a six-pack of beer.

Have a nice day,

János

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,442
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 1,442
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 1,442