A few bits & pieces

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rural Platypus

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently completed a few things as presents for friends so thought it would be a good opportunity to post what I've been up to recently.

First up is a candle holder in bubinga with maple detailing

148298660_e5f91136b9.jpg

The closeup shows the maple plugs - I did these with a Veritas plug cutter; I think they make a nice contrast to the bubinga

148298658_0cc6f3bf47.jpg

I roughed out the curves on the bandsaw then template routed to finish off.
The finish is Liberon oil and wax.

Next one is a bandsawn jewllery box in Elm. This was from a rather nice plank I bought from Yandles but that had to be crosscut to fit in the car :(
Since I could't bear to waste the offcut I made the jewellery box from it.

148298653_286e5b2430.jpg

The handles are Elm as well - I roughed out a couple from the lighter offcuts then carved them to shape. The finish again is Liberon oil and wax.

148298655_940bd0ec37.jpg

Finally another candle holder, this time in Maple with Bubinga detailing.

148298652_74c03ee1ea.jpg

Apologies for the poor photo this time :(

Finish on this was matt polyurethane and wax, as I didn't want to darken the natural light colour of the Maple. I tried a variety of finishes on maple scrap but found the end grain darkened too much.

Hope you like them,

Cheers

RP

I think a full explanation into how you made the jewelry box is in order here :D

RP,
lovely work. Those contrasting plugs are clever, simple and very effective.
That box wuld have done well in the recent comp too - any WIP photos?

Andy

Wow, I didn't expect such a great response! :shock:

Sadly I didn't take any WIP photos of the jewellery box, but I have just glued up the base block to make another out of cherry to a slightly different design so I'll document the making of that one.

For those interested, this is how I did it:

1. Glue up a block made from 4 or 5 identical lengths of timber (bookmatched on the end grain for interest)
2. Plane the base of the block flat and square to the face
3. Bandsaw off what is to be the 'back' of the slab with a resaw blade
4. Bandsaw out the inside curves (and by default, the drawer blocks) with a 3/8ths 10tpi blade
5. Bandsaw off the fronts and backs of the drawer blocks
6. Bandsaw out the shape of the inside of the drawers
7. File and sand the inside curves of the block (pillar drill drum sander attachments come in handy here)
8. Tidy up the sawn faces of the block & back and glue them back together.
9. Bandsaw the outside curves with the 3/8ths blade
10. Scrape & sand the outside of the box
11. Scrape & sand the inside of the drawers
12. Glue the drawer fronts & backs back on
13. Scrape & sand the outside of the drawers
14. Rough out some handle shapes on the bandsaw & finish them off with carving gouges & careful sanding. Glue to the drawer fronts.
15. Ease the inside & outside edges with a small dia roundover bit in the router. Where the router bit doesn't fit a carving gouge surely will.
16. Apply favourite finish

It sounds a bit more complicated than it actually is. The stationary belt/disk sander was my friend here (apart from the small chunk it took out of my knuckle during a lapse of concentration) as there is lots of sanding to do. I was very glad of my microclene air filter (plus masks) after this project

Cheers,

RP :D

Back