A different type of show...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispuzzle

Established Member
Reaction score
Talk on the forum of scrollsaw shows reminded me of this pic. I have spent almost as much time cutting with my home-made Meccano saw as with my Axminster of late, demonstrating it by cutting plywood puzzles of old Meccano Magazine covers with their evocative period artwork.

DSCF0069.jpg

This portly fellow is me at the Skegex Meccano Exhibition this Summer in Skegness - more recently we had a show in Henley-on-Thames and the saw will appear at St Albans at the end of this month, and at Kew Bridge Steam Museum next year. Everybody seems to love the Meccano Scrollsaw: I cut three puzzles with it over the Skegness weekend and there was a steady stream of people asking questions about scrollsaws and jigsaw puzzles.

So although it may be difficult to spread the word at woodworking shows, if you build your own, it's different story entirely...!

Where and when in St Albans, it's only a short distance away?
Great to see the old Meccanon being put to such good use :lol:

I'd love to see it live in action. Great photo, Chris :) .

There's the answer to your problems choosing a new saw, Keith. If it doesn't suit you, you could always turn it into the Eiffel Tower or Forth Bridge ;)

Gill

To be honest buying the Meccano, especially the older sturdier type, would bankrupt me :lol: Besides, my engineering skills died a long time ago more power to your elbow Chris.....nice one :eek:ccasion5:

keithhickson":3fesovcz said:
Where and when in St Albans, it's only a short distance away?
Great to see the old Meccanon being put to such good use :lol:

Keith -

At the Francis Bacon School, Drakes Drive, St Albans, Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th September. 1000-1700 both days.

http://www.hsomerville.com/wlms/wlms_exhibition.htm for full details and a map.

You are right that Meccano is quite expensive, although it is less so if you consider that it can be used over and over again for different models. I guess the cost of the parts in my Meccano saw, if you had to buy them from a dealer, would be somewhere between a Ferm and a Sip...

Chris

Thanks Chris there is also the KNOW HOW required to build one, as Gill mentions the Forth Bridge (not to scale I hasten to add :lol: ) would probably be my limit. A great looking machine and hopefully I'll be able to get to the show and watch it in action.

Thanks again

Keith

Back