A design like one of George`s

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
Made this 12" diameter ash bowl today and thought I`d have a go at replicating the design on that excellent bowl George made from Marilyn Campbell`s blank recently. I gather Marilyn made the blank by combining different timber in conjunction with resin to make a solid blank. Mine is made using a computer generated stencil and airbrush paints. It needed a bit of cutting and masking as it was awkward making a 2d stencil fit onto a 3d object but I`m quite pleased with it as its the first one I`ve tried but I think it might have been better on a more bland piece of wood as the grain is very strong.
I haven`t repeated the design underneath but it would easy enough to do!
Comments welcome :)
Cheers
Steve

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

That's rather nice, nice bowl and an attractive pattern too.

How hardwaring is it? I think the bowl shape lends its'self to practical use more than decorative and I was wondering have you put a laquer over the pattern?

The two components, the bowl and the design are both great, but like you, I found the grain too strong for the design, making the eye compete between the two.
You certainly seem to have mastered the air brush technique

Just to clarify (as i've had a pm asking about this) Steve is reffering to George Foweraker not me George Watkins

very nice piece Steve =D>

I'm also in the camp that it works because the pattern and grain compliment.

On the other hand I also agree that it would be even better (to my eye) if the grain was a little less - such as sycamore ...

The design looks excellent, and very cleanly applied.

would be inclined to side with the clash of grain, maybe a different colour for the design.
Lovely bit of turning though.

I did a google and found the original ...

I'd like to say which one I prefer but George may get upset.. so I'm not telling :p

Beautiful!
All you guys who post on here are an inspiration to us beginners!
Must admit, it's also quite daunting - how can I ever get up to standard? - Just take a gander at my pitful turning on the (I think) rather pretty bit of horse chestnut I lost my green-turning virginity to yesterday.
Looking forward to meeting some of you at the Worcestershire Bash on Saturday.
Cheers,
Greg

Don't worry Greg we've all been there. I have made more dross than I care to remember (and still do now and then) Each cockup is a lesson learned as long as you enjoy what you do who cares?
Cheers
Steve

Back