a decent Splitting Axe recommendation?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yetty

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just broken my 8lb roughneck, the head parted company from the fibreglass handle. (Eventually I was given a £20 credit by Screwfix, despite 99 warranty there was no replacement as I didn't keep receipt from 24mths ago, and they don't keep records after 18mths... )

So now looking for a decent splitting axe. There seems to be a few brands on the bay, like Hultafors, Bahco, Helko, Fiskars.

Any recommendations to what is strong and decent please?

Yetty":2d1ouzcs said:
I've just broken my 8lb roughneck, the head parted company from the fibreglass handle. (Eventually I was given a £20 credit by Screwfix, despite 99 warranty there was no replacement as I didn't keep receipt from 24mths ago, and they don't keep records after 18mths... )

So now looking for a decent splitting axe. There seems to be a few brands on the bay, like Hultafors, Bahco, Helko, Fiskars.

Any recommendations to what is strong and decent please?

Get some Ash, make a handle, fit the head.

BugBear

Hickory handles are readily available.
Fiskars as above is good and well recommended.
I use a Gransfors Bruks long handled splitting axe which is great, handmade and very well balanced. About £100 though.

Thanks, to ALL of you, much appreciated. I've just put a Fiskars X27 on next day delivery. I'll give the X27 a try because I like the anti-vibration feature [my joints need all the help they can get!]

Fiskars will stand by it too, I'm on my 2nd replacement (I've been through 3 in total) of their weed pullers. One email, photo of it snapped and they send me a new model each time along with an apology. This is over a period of 3 years.

You could argue that they should have got it right before they started selling them :) - I don't know how many other people like me there are snapping them, last time it was my 5 year old daughter who broke it.

Mine is fluorescent green, fibreglass handle - no idea of the brand name. My local agricultural supplier sold it to me (after discount!) for about £15. This was 16 months ago, still going strong and we have cut and split tons of timber in that time. Never, ever thought I would join the 'buy cheap and throw it away' brigade - but in this case .........

+1 for the Fiskars X27. Quite light. Doesn't get stuck too often. You should be pleased. Only issue I have with mine is the metal is quite soft so cut on a block on soft ground. Only problem I have now is after two years I've run out of free wood sources :(

Yetty":wehw5nq6 said:
Thanks, to ALL of you, much appreciated. I've just put a Fiskars X27 on next day delivery. I'll give the X27 a try because I like the anti-vibration feature [my joints need all the help they can get!]

They are brilliant. Seriously the logs split as if though they are afraid of it. Think it's down to it being long handled but light. You get great head speed with it and the shape of the head does the rest. Mates got the Gransfors and to be fair it is a thing of beauty but after he tried my Fiskars he reluctantly admitted it was the better axe.

Imported the X27 from Poland before they were selling them here. Also got the smaller X10 for splitting smaller stuff for kindling. Had them over 3 years now and best purchase ever. They havent half dropped in price from what I paid though!

Mike

Well, the X27 didn't merely meet expectations, it fully exceeded them! On opening the delivery, the daughter [teen] said “wow, that's awesome”. An in use, well, the axe is superb. I still can't quite believe the ease it splits. Thank you!!

Back