A couple of pics of recent work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Childress

Reaction score
As I said in my introductory thread, I am a relative newbie at this WW wheeze, so be gentle.

Here are a couple of bookcases I built for our 'library.' I suppose it's actually the parlour, but we use it exclusively for reading. Makes us feel somehow superior, you know. :D :lol: :roll:

The first is a double unit constructed in two sections in the workshop and then removed to the house where the face frame and crown were installed. The second is a single unit sized to accept paperback books only. Both are red oak and yes, both are stained a darker colour. (Don't blame me, I learnt it from Norm.)

Notice I have photographed them filled with books to distract you from my mistakes. :)

case.jpg

papercase.jpg

Nice workmanship Bob, but you've set yourself a pretty high bar there mate. Are the shelves adjustable or fixed? If fixed what method did you use to fix to sides? Keep up the good work, John

Bob

"Relative newbie"? Those bookcases look pretty good to me! Good work. I agree that making your own bookcases for paperbacks is much the best plan because commercially available bookcases are usually much too deep from front to back.

Regards.

Thanks for the kind comments. (Also for moving this to the correct forum.) The shelves are adjustable using 1/4" brass shelf pins. I made a jig to drill the holes using a piece of pegboard and the drill press with a stop collar. Since then, I have purchased a shelf hole jig that is much less fiddly. The shelves are 3/4" oak ply with red oak edge banding.

The top and the bottom shelves are dadoed into the side panels, which were cut using a shop-made jig and the router. The rails and stiles of the face frame are joined by pocket screws and glue. Thanks for looking.

Looks great. Not like Neil not to spot a thread for moving :wink: . They look really good, and clearly from the amount of books you have - very much needed.

Adam

wonderful units there my friend, but one question, when do you have time for reading all the books :lol:

greggy":3dj9c79w said:
wonderful units there my friend, but one question, when do you have time for reading all the books :lol:

A good question. Actually, they have all been read previously, but I can't bear to discard a book unless it is a complete clunker. (I might need it someday! :lol: ) Most of the hardback books are history and biography from my University days.

Back