8 bit inside out candlestick

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
As some of you know, I'm always up for a challenge and earlier I had posted some photos of what called inside out turning. Too long to explain here, better to do a e=search on it if you haven't heard of it before.

Well, I have made a 4 section followed by a 3 section jobbie which turned out a lot better IMHO. But, I thought 'I wonder if it's possible to do an 8?' So armed with a lump of beach wood, about 8" long by 4" square I sawed it lengthwise in to 8 segmenta, like an orange, turned them inside out and glued them back together. Turned a waste like form inot it. Then split them back into the 8 bits and turned them back the original way. That gave me the same internal form as a 4 bit, so I rearranged them the right way out but in a different form and glued them back together again. This time as a permanent fixture.

Back onto the lathe and turned the outside to the shape I wanted, heart in mouth and ready to duck toot-sweet (as the French would say?) No bits flew off and it took the shape I wanted.

I wanted it to be a candle stick to take one of my 3" spherical candles so a curve was shaped in the top. I finished up with

8 bit inside out 2 by John, on Flickr

I didn't want the candle just to sit in the dip in the bare wood. I have some zinc drain piping left over from fitting some rain water tubs. The zinc is a nice silvery, shink, soft metal, so i wondered??? So I opened up a bit of it. It's only soft soldered, and cut about a 5" square

I turned a press for it

8 bit candle stick zinc 1 by John, on Flickr

8 bit candle stick zinc 2 by John, on Flickr

And employed my 6 tonne log splitter :D:D to put a bit of pressure on it, as you do?

8 bit candle stick zinc 3 by John, on Flickr

And finished up with what looked like a floded silver handkerchief

8 bit candle stick zinc 5 by John, on Flickr

It fitted beautifully into the dip

8 bit inside out 3 by John, on Flickr

And the candle fitted as if it had been made for the job

8 bit inside out 4 by John, on Flickr

I still have to give it a coat of herd wax oil and polish, but all in all, I like it and it is very different. The holes are alternate high/low as I turned the even segments upside down to get the effect I hoped for. That is why it isn't as good a join as I would have liked in places?

C'est la vie..

It's nice to see something different! I have a suggestion for the zinc liner - have you considered metal spinning? You could spin a disc of the thin zinc over that wooden former and end up with a dish with no creases.

Ta folks.

I was going to gently BASH it to shape, bur decided to try to press it instead. I quite like the silver hanky look to it. I have to admit that it looks better in real life though.

I might try the spin/plenishing method? I have enough of the drain pipe left to have a few dozen tries at it :mrgreen: About a 6' length of 4" diameter pipe! It's amazing just how soft it is and it's quite popular and easy to buy here in France.

Back