-

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DustyDave":u4vkfpp6 said:
Hi,

I'm looking at replacing my cheap Axminster Perform pillar drill some time soon. My main gripe with it is the lack of rack & pinion for table rise/fall. The other likely issue is that I'm getting a XY cross vice soon and I think it's going to eat up all the space under the drill.

I've looked at some of the meddings & fobco but they don't seem to have the rack & pinion. Are the Axminster drills any good? If so what level of spending should I be looking at. What about Sealey, Clarke, etc. Alternatively are there any older drills with rack & pinion?

Cheers,

Dave

Not Clarke! I'm in the same position. Was going to get the nd12 but that hasn't fot rise and fall plus chuck travel is limited. Been looking at Meddings on ebay ...there is one near you at the moment. Many are 3 phase. Good chuck travel. No rise and fall on the bed that I see. Why don't you buy this one

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... =1&jump=44

and then I can come down and have a play!

I've just bought an Axminster ED16SB. I am space limited and also wanted something I could lift single handed. I was worried that at £114 this one would be too cheap but I visited them at High Wycombe and waggled the quill :shock:. No probs. It's turned out to be heck of a lot of drill for the price. Copes with large wood bits, and it's drilling steel accurately. The chuck is hunky and doesn't slip. And being 5 speed it's nice and quiet as well. And the assembly instructions are in real English :D. The only down side is that the finish isn't perfect on the non-machined surfaces. But at that price...

Boz

RogerS":3usaywas said:
Been looking at Meddings on ebay ...there is one near you at the moment.

Bid a couple of times on that but it went for quite a bit more than I was prepared to pay. I passed the idea of the axminster trip via swmbo and she didn't fall over. I guess she wasn't listening (as normal).

Dave

DustyDave":29ymntat said:
RogerS":29ymntat said:
Been looking at Meddings on ebay ...there is one near you at the moment.

Bid a couple of times on that but it went for quite a bit more than I was prepared to pay. I passed the idea of the axminster trip via swmbo and she didn't fall over. I guess she wasn't listening (as normal).

Dave

Oooh...when are we going ?

Back