31/64" Brad point bit?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdiver

Established Member
Reaction score
I need a brad point bit slightly over 12mm but not as big as 1/2" (12.7mm) and the nearest i can get to that is 31/64", which is around 12.3 mm. Trouble is i can't find one. Plenty on American sites and i have found one that Fisch make for doing pen blanks but it is £22 and i don't want to pay that much for something that won't get a lot of use. Anyone know where to look to get a decent one that will cut cleanly into end grain of birch ply. I have a Fisch 12mm that cuts beautifully but it is just a tad too tight for what i need. I could cut with a 12mm and then just make the hole bigger with a normal jobber bit but would prefer to just do it in one hit with a brad point.

Use the £22 bit 10 times and its cost you 2.20 a time. at 22 times its a pound a go.
Work out your labour costs for Cucumbering about drilling undersized and then expanding it 22 times.
You know it makes sense.

Or if you can get a jobbers bit then just re grind the end to create a usable brad point it's not that difficult with a bit of practice.

sunnybob":3x400fnd said:
Use the £22 bit 10 times and its cost you 2.20 a time. at 22 times its a pound a go.
Work out your labour costs for Cucumbering about drilling undersized and then expanding it 22 times.
You know it makes sense.

It looks a bit long to be honest, which is putting me off more than the price.

The re-grind is a good shout, never thought of that.

Colt make a 12.5mm and 31/64th 5 Star pen bits - M2. They're still long and around the £20 mark, though. Google will bring up some suppliers as will ebay.uk

Yeah, think a bit more searching is in order and i'm sure something will emerge. Just wondered if anyone could point me at a site to save me the bother. Thanks all for suggestions so far.

Seems that 31/64ths is the drill bit for pen blanks, which i didn't know, so will find something i'm sure. 12.7mm is way too slack, so i imagine 12.5 will be as well. 12mm is almost perfect but with it being a hole drilled very near the end on the edge of 18mm ply, sometimes the ply parts when i put the 12mm fitting into it, so i'll get a 31/64ths, which is about 12.3mm. Would prefer the clean cut of a brad point, so it looks like i'll have to shell out for one.

Thanks to all.

Back