3 Phase Vs Single Phase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking of maybe buying a 4 sided planer / moulder (logosol, moretens) and as they do the unit in both 3 phase and single phase I am not sure what the benefits are.

I think I am correct in saying that a 3 phase unit will provide the unit with more grunt, but it's resale ability will be less than a single phase unit.

Anyone want to comment ?

flanajb":1qsdjiyq said:
I am thinking of maybe buying a 4 sided planer / moulder (logosol, moretens) and as they do the unit in both 3 phase and single phase I am not sure what the benefits are.

I think I am correct in saying that a 3 phase unit will provide the unit with more grunt, but it's resale ability will be less than a single phase unit.

Anyone want to comment ?

I would have thought that most people wanting to buy a second hand 4 sider would be trade and have 3 phase available.
Maybe if resale is a serious consideration then you are only thinking of keeping it a while? If this is the case then how about buy second hand yourself and save the initial cpital loss of a new buy?
If you have three phase in your shop already then I'd go for that version. A single phase model will need a pretty good supply poss 32 amp - depends if you have this available.
Are you trade or hobby?

Bob

catface":ecr2t3h5 said:
hello,
prospective buyers can also consider renting good quality machines from the likes of Scott & Sergant (see link below), then you can try it out without having to keep it/ dispose of it. Just another option :

www.machines4wood.com/mall/productpage. ... MPPN/81445
I have looked at renting, but some companies tie you in for 5 years !!!

I have looked at 2nd hand machines, but can only find the larger 3 phase moulders and not the more sizeable logosol / moretons type setup.

I assume you can take a 32 amp feed directly off your home supply without too much expense. Trouble is, running a 4 sided planer / moulder from a garage might cause an issue with the neighbours :shock:

I agree with bob these are trade machines and are more likely to be wanted in 3 phase and i cant see why a single phase one would hold its value more.

I had a look at these once (moretens) and looked a decent machine for the price. The major disadvantage over a full size moulder such as a weinig / wadkin is that there isnt really a decent precision infeed table and there is no side referencing cutter to straighten the timber so unless the timber is fairly flat and straight you may not get perfect results it
depends what you want the machine to do.

I havent seen the moretens working so these problems may not be an issue. I would reccomend contacting moretens or logosol and go and see if they have any installations near you and go and have a look and talk to the owner.

Jon

hello flanajb,
1. "I assume you can take a 32 amp feed directly off your home supply without too much expense."
Don't see why not, but i'm not an electrician. Answer will probably depend on the power rating of the machine you intend to run.

2. "Trouble is, running a 4 sided planer / moulder from a garage might cause an issue with the neighbours"
THere's no obvious reason why this should be an issue for a 4 sided planer more than for any other normal woodworking machine. Most modern machines meeting HSE spec will come in at about 85db, so in this regard a 4sideplaner is no different to a spindle moulder, or panelsaw, etc.
The main issue for noise nuisance with neighbours seems to be when using (your)domestic premises for commmercial work. But that aside the normal considerations apply eg working in an enclosed area (building ) to reduce your noise pollution ; not working unnecessarily early/ late in the day ; etc. Local considerations will also apply - if your neighbours are v close to the workshop noise is more of an issue ; also if they are in all day eg retired, or sleep daytime (shift work) - if you can arrange to fit in noisy work when they are mostly absent the problem is solved. These days the council has to measure your noise levels from the location of the complainants premises over a period (1 or weeks) to have an evidential basis for pursuing or dropping a neghbours complaint about workshop noise from domestic premises, so even with a complaint you may be within what is acceptable.
Hope this helps, regards, Catface

flanajb":1jup4q47 said:
catface":1jup4q47 said:
if you can arrange to fit in noisy work when they are mostly absent the problem is solved.

I wish. They are all retired :?

Just do some little jobs for them and get them on your side!

Think positively, some of them might be deaf!

Bob

Soon to be retiring and making noise at home. 2 weeks to go!!

Back