2003 fiat doblo 1.9 jtd won't rev above 3000rpm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomedd

Reaction score
Hi.. I'm new to this so please bare with me...
I have a 2003 fiat doblo van 1.9 jtd it won't rev above 3000rpm there isn't any lights on the dash other than the handbrake warning light comes on now and then for a few seconds. This van does not have the dpf filter so isn't that. Iv had it plugged in on the obd scanner and it says there is one code but it won't tell me what the code is and it won't clear .. anyone have any ideas other than go to the dealers.
Thanks

Welcome, have you checked the air filter, if it is partially/totally blocked it will starve the engine of air. Once had a Nissan Micra that had a mouse in the filter box, together with ~500g of nuts :)

The fuel filter is always worth a look to check that it's not partially blocked.

One thing I would check is the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor). Symptoms sound similar to those I had on a diesel people carrier a few years ago. Have a google and there are some Youtube videos that show how you can test it. If you are reasonably handy they are usually pretty easy to change without having to go to a garage.

Sorry guys like I say I'm new to this so if iv posted in the wrong place please forgive me.
I did think maybe fuel filter and air filter and I will be checking them tomorrow but would that make the van stop at 3000 rpm everyone? I'm not so sure :-/

Do you need it to go over 3000 revs? Everyone's in such a rush nowadays. Just chill out man, slow down and enjoy the journey dude ;)

Coley

The maf did cross my mind too but it looks new and when they are faulty they usually come up on the obd scanner tool but as I said they scanner brought up a code but won't show me the actual code

ColeyS1":bbq7grzk said:
Do you need it to go over 3000 revs? Everyone's in such a rush nowadays. Just chill out man, slow down and enjoy the journey dude ;)

Coley

Lol don't need to rev over 3000 all the time now but when my van is loaded it certainly does.

Not revving above 3000 RMP is because its going into Limp home mode. This is designed to limit engine damage in the event of a component failure, without the code its nearly impossible to say whats causing it, it could literally be anything. In my day job I'm a diagnostic technician for VW, the times I have had to fix other peoples "Fixes/guesses" is unreal. If I had a pound for every time I have heard "well it says such and such on the VW forum" I would be able to retire. It normally ends up costing more to put it right than it would if it had been brought to me in the first place. In a previous life I was a technician for Fiat, the reason your OBD code reader won't tell you the code is probably because its a brand specific code. Im guessing it says something like unspecified code?
My advice get it to a garage (not necessarily a dealer) with the right diagnostic gear and get it diagnosed correctly.

Matt

My first thought was "limp home mode" too. Get it analysed properly - even the injectors themselves have sensors nowadays. Guessing is just an expensive waste of time and prob money too.

I had a VAG 1.9 TDI lump. Never again. On several occasions it dropped into limp whilst accelerating onto motorways - very frightening. It also lunched its turbo (£2200 to fix), so get that mechanically checked if there's nothing else obvious, as removing a worn one is much cheaper than replacing a failed one, because of the damage it does.

Eric The Viking":1rhm68bc said:
My first thought was "limp home mode" too. Get it analysed properly - even the injectors themselves have sensors nowadays. Guessing is just an expensive waste of time and prob money too.

I had a VAG 1.9 TDI lump. Never again. On several occasions it dropped into limp whilst accelerating onto motorways - very frightening. It also lunched its turbo (£2200 to fix), so get that mechanically checked if there's nothing else obvious, as removing a worn one is much cheaper than replacing a failed one, because of the damage it does.

£2200 for a turbo in a regular car/van? Holy moley......

Latest posts

Back