1ph to 3ph inverters - Is this motor compatible?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dissolve

Established Member
Reaction score
So I picked up a good condition old meddings drill and it has three phase motor on it. After looking at my options I've decided to go for an inverter rather than swapping out the motor.

I've been told that it needs to have a dual voltage motor which I believe this has. But really I just want somebody to confirm that this motor is compatible with an inverter. The motor plate reads:

Brook Compton Parkinson
240/420-460/3/60/1740
T6V4R 1.63/0.94 FLC
CLASS B, RATING CR, 50HZ
ENCL. DP, 370W, F.L.AMPS 1.8 - 1.04
VOLTAGE 220 DELTA 380-420 STAR, SPEED 1440

Now from this I assume I need a 3ph inverter than will be capable of outputting 0.37kw so could anyone tell me if this looks suitable:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IMO-1-HP-0-75 ... 5d3c9664ac

Thanks very much!

The motor plate as stated shows that it is a dual voltage motor. There will be six wires in a box with links to enable you to move it from star to delta which you will need to do. The inverter looks fine, however may I recommend you buy a known brand of inverter. A good Siemens unit or similar would be far better for a number if reasons. Siemens in Congolton have a brilliant technical help line and can sell you the perfect inverter. You may be surprised how cheap they actually are, with proper back up if anything forgoes wrong. (I have never worked for Siemens, but used their stuff...it's brilliant in my opinion)

The main issue with inverters if they are not designed correctly is that they can be electrically noisy, causing interference with other electrical products and in the worst case destroying sensitive computer equipment. You really want an inverter with a filter to ensure that the neighbours TV, 3 doors down is not affected. (Each house normally gets one phase of the three phases I.e. every third house is in the same phase as you)

deema":73ag1xn4 said:
The motor plate as stated shows that it is a dual voltage motor. There will be six wires in a box with links to enable you to move it from star to delta which you will need to do. The inverter looks fine, however may I recommend you buy a known brand of inverter. A good Siemens unit or similar would be far better for a number if reasons. Siemens in Congolton have a brilliant technical help line and can sell you the perfect inverter. You may be surprised how cheap they actually are, with proper back up if anything forgoes wrong. (I have never worked for Siemens, but used their stuff...it's brilliant in my opinion)

The main issue with inverters if they are not designed correctly is that they can be electrically noisy, causing interference with other electrical products and in the worst case destroying sensitive computer equipment. You really want an inverter with a filter to ensure that the neighbours TV, 3 doors down is not affected. (Each house normally gets one phase of the three phases I.e. every third house is in the same phase as you)

Fantastic, I've taken a look at the feedback from that IMO inverter and it seems people are generally happy with it, it has the features I need. But I am intrigued by the electrically noisy comment.

It states it does have a filter, but I'm not sure what sort of filter you would require to prevent interfierence with electrical equipment?

I'll give them a call and se what they can offer me. I definitely think financially it makes sense and I like the idea of controlling the speed remotely and leaving the cover on the drill at all times!.

I've put VFD's on several lathes and a bandsaw. I have had very good results with the Mitsubishi D700 on my Graduate lathe and Westinghouse/Teco on a lathe and bandsaw.
Based on the data plate info., you have a dual voltage motor. I've have not experienced any issues with noise on the electrical circuit.
I installed a Teco VFD on a friend's 3hp bandsaw. The 90 year old motor ran smoother and quieter on the inverter than it did on the generated 3 phase he has in his shop.!
In the states, I really like the Vfd''s that convert single phase 110 voltage to 3 phase 220. For motors of 75kw and less they are great!

Back