150mm/6" velcro sanding disks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEP

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I've got a 6" disk, 4" belt sander. Has anyone fixed a hook velcro mount onto the 6" disk? and if so how good was it. I fancy trying to convert my disk to velcro pads rather than the straight adhesive which it has at the moment.

Also where can I get the velcro needed to do the job?

Thanks all.

Almost all ROSs all work with a velcro mounting and it works well on them, so I'd imagine a static machine could similarly benefit from fast, non-destructive change-overs. One source of velcro is CSM Just Abrasives - product #10877 (£8.18 incl. VAT)

Scrit

Yes I too have the Velcro disks on mine and it works fine. I took the Velcro hook pad from an old ROS cut off the material and glued it onto the backing pad. :wink:

Thanks for all the info guys, seems as if my idea will work, although I believe the velcro disks are more expensive than the adhesive ones. At least I will have the option of changing disks for different grits. :D

Thanks again.

The hook part of velcro is too thick and spongy the product you want is made by Hermes and called Cletogrip its specially designed for sanding discs PM me if your local supplier can not get for you.

Inspector":udlt2sid said:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=3&p=20170&cat=1,42500

There must be some English companies selling the equivalent to the above, and if not you can always order it from over here.
That's the stuff I suggested from CSM......

But how does the sanding fixed base machine cope with a slightly flexible set up disk.
I like to push end grain pieces against the spinning wheel.

devonwoody":3ti394s2 said:
But how does the sanding fixed base machine cope with a slightly flexible set up disk.
I like to push end grain pieces against the spinning wheel.
If you are pressing the work hard against the abrasive you're actually not doing the sanding action any good at all. Abrasives don't need huge amounts of pressure to work properly.

Scrit

yes that makes sense Scrit, but if the plate is depressable is it always flat (if that is the correct word)
I always push with moderation :wink:

Many thanks again everyone. Don't know why I didn't ask about this ages ago. I've been messing with adhesive disks for a couple of years now.

Thanks again.

Your right Scrit, I only do woodturning but have watched people keep using their small piece of sanding material until you can almost see smoke coming from it. When you say chuck it for a new piece, the reply is 'loads of life left in it' he said almost pushing the lathe over :lol: A lot of people don't realise that if you have to press the paper to the work, it's time you had a new piece.

If you were using an abrasive material to sharpen a chisel blade I still would not fix the paper to a sheet of foam, I would want a hard flat surface like a sheet of glass.

Soooooooooooo

I learned to machine sand on a long stroke sander

z4251.jpg

where the pad is moved left to right with one hand whilst the other hand moves the table in and out - a bit reminiscent of the old pat the head, rub the tummy trick. The difference is that the stroke sander is so aggressive that if you apply too much pressure or even stop the motion for a few seconds you go straight through the veneer, especially on modern sub-1.0mm thick veneered MDF, chipboards, etc (and get a crack in the process). So you leran to let the abrasive do the work :roll:

That's a 16in disc at the other end where the disc has to be attached with adhesive - they're a menace to remove

Scrit

Yes. Dust extraction on these beasties is so good that you are enveloped in a cloud of dust all the time they are running and your hair turns (prematurely) white. Not that mine is truning white...... oh, no...... :oops:

Scrit

Back