1.5KW extractor 16A supply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajbell

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I bought an axminster awede extractor last week which came with a 16A plug. I have tried to get away with running it on a standard 13A plug which is OK about 50% of startups but blows the plug fuse the rest of the time. (the fluro tube in the garage dims slightly on startup too)

Obviously it came with a 16A plug for a reason but it is only a 1.5Kw motor.

I have a consumer unit (memera 2000) in the garage with 2 fuses a 15A fuse for the socket circuit and 5A for the lights (The boiler for the oil fired heater is also run off this unit).

Can I use this consumer unit with a 16A fuse (I can't see anything suitable on the web) OR, do I need to replace this unit with something which will take a 16A class C "thingy" and then add a 16A socket.

I am thinking of getting a table saw in the future so plan to need another 16A socket in the future.

Thanks

Andy

I would if it was me ask an electrician on this subject. I have a 32 amp system installed before I took over the workshop, so don't have your problem. I have two 16 amp machines now but are not running at the same time. Sorry to say again but seek qualified advise. It pays in the end.

I have a 16 amp MCB on my consumer unit just to run my stationary sander which had the same problem. It was very simple to run but up to you if you want to get a sparky involved.

Sorry, but from the questions you are asking I would recommend you seek a spark for a professional installation. It shouldn't be too expensive as its not a major job. Use of words like 'thingy' leads me to believe electrician may not be your day job :wink:

Steve.

Stevie

You are correct - an electrician is not my day job.

I said "thingy" instead of type C MCB but it may as well
be a "thingy" to me. I am a mech eng so try and stay away from
sparky things.

I just wanted an idea of what hardware would be required -
I do not intend doing the job myself unless it is very simple.

Andy

OK, it really depends on your setup. I presume your 2 way CU in the garage is fed from the house CU? First consideration is the cable rating from the house CU to the garage one. Will this handle an additional 16A load? Second consideration is the number of spare ways in the garage CU. If there are none then this will probably need upgrading to a 4 way or greater box. One concern I have about your current setup is you describe a 15A MCB protecting your sockets. It is more typical to havea 32A MCB for this, although for a garage setup (not workshop) which only has occasional use envisaged such as a freezer or the lawnmower a 15A protection would be OK. Upgrading to big power tools/machinery on this would cause the fuse to blow, as you are finding.

Thus if you are lucky and your cable from house to garage is fine, and you have a spare slot in your garage CU all you would need is a 16A MCB inserting and a cable run to the extractor. I would also upgrade the existing 15A to a 32A MCB. If you are unlucky the whole system will need redoing from the house CU, intermediate between these is a new garage CU and new garage electricals depending on socket useage. It pays to think about future upgrades (as you are with mention of a saw requiring a 16A supply) and to get a bigger CU than you currently need now for the garage.

These sorts of works are beyond basic electrical DIY, but not impossible by any means - all the bits are available from local DIY stores. What does become difficult is testing the installation for safety. That is really up to your own confidence - if you are confident enough to do it then go for it. You might prefer to install it and get a spark to test it, or get a spark to do the lot. you will also hear lots of info about part P and electrical regulations, but your sig says you are from Ireland and I am not sure what the rules and regs are for there.

Wouldn't like to advise on cost for the options, DIY or spark rates, but you could always ask a spark for advice and a quote and go from there if its too much.

HTH,

Steve.

Stevie

Thanks - I am not sure about the cable supply to the garage consumer unit, as it is a rented house. Is it easy to tell from the size of cable supplying the CU in the garage?

I hope the cable supply from the house is Ok
as I don't really want to pay for the upgrade in a rented house.

I have no spare slots in the consumer unit - can I try a 16A MCB in the slot for the 15A sockets and run a cable to a 16A socket to test everything works OK before buying a larger CU?

I guess each 16A machine requires its own MCB so I would need 2 slots,
one for the extractor and one for a future table saw, maybe 3 slots would be better just incase?
Then I would need a slot for the sockets, a 32 A MCB as you suggest
Then a slot for lights - currently 5A but I need to install more tubes.

The more I think about it the more I think I agree with you that I need an electrician!

Thanks for your help.

Andy

No worries! Are you allowed to do all this in a rented house? Not sure my previous landlords would have been pleased if I had rewired their properties :shock: If so, getting in a spark would be the way to go for a quote at least.

Steve.

Andy
My own experience of this is that if the fluorescent dims when you start a machine up, then the supply to the garage is not good enough.
This is what i was told when i had the same problem, my supply is now 16mm armoured cable & i have no problems.
Though this was quite expensive, & i`m not sure if it would be worth going to this expense if you rent the property.
A qualified electriction is definitely the way to proceed.

Back