Woodworker, 1950

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G S Haydon":xe9zpdru said:
I would agree on the fine india polish. I think much of it is how the stone beds in and how you maintain it. I use and wipe off when finished and the stone does improve (IMO) with use. Those lovely stormonts have a lovely sheen, enhanced by the stop.

Sheen and shine I can go for - it was the word mirror that bought me up short. I've never seen something I'd call mirror
fromless than 2000 grit SiC; certainly the finest Arkansas I own doesn't give "full mirror".

I suspect attempts to photograph or quantise surface quality for this thread won't get far - it's notoriously difficult.

BugBear

Nice to see some of your work Charles.

India & Strop. Not those lovely stormonts but a Regular Irwin/Marples. Agreed, not a mirror but a decent sheen

Chisel Back Polished.jpg

Attachments

• Chisel Back Polished.jpg
    Chisel Back Polished.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 489
G S Haydon":1zpsg5nx said:
Nice to see some of your work Charles.

India & Strop. Not those lovely stormonts but a Regular Irwin/Marples. Agreed, not a mirror but a decent sheen

Could you try a photo without stropping, just the india?

BugBear

Did a quick hone on the bevel with my India. Like I said in my prev post, it's "almost mirror" not "truly mirror". It's a really old typical combo stone from eBay, how old I'm not sure. Had a hollow of at least 2 mm when it came to me. I use baby oil on India and glass cleaner the diamond stone.
phphlAFDGAM.jpg

Same chisel coming off of 600 grit diamond stone
phpZll3FhAM.jpg

Side by side, chisel on left sharpened on India and the other one on 600 grit diamond stone. Note the letters, you can read them quite clearly.

phpUUYo3RAM.jpg

Sam

Attachments

• phphlAFDGAM.jpg
    phphlAFDGAM.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 454
  • phpZll3FhAM.jpg
    phpZll3FhAM.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 454
  • phpUUYo3RAM.jpg
    phpUUYo3RAM.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 454
The very tip of the chisel on the right in the last picture isn't quite polished. I did it rather hastily. Both edges are sharp but I think the India is slightly sharper.

Sorry to bring it back, here's the pic of the chisel back off the India.

Sharpened Chisel.jpg

Attachments

• Sharpened Chisel.jpg
    Sharpened Chisel.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 347
Back