Wood ID please and thin sided bowl.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
well thin for me anyway, about 5mm all the way down to the base. but the base is a bit thicker, not brave enough to attack that yet :shock: 100 -125mm tall. finished in HWO and burnishing cream.
It came from the firewood pile (which means I chopped it down / up) and i am guessing its possibly sycamore, birch, poplar, black or haw-thorn, or some member of the willow family :?
Any ideas?
thinwallbowl1.JPG

thinwallbowl2.JPG

thinwallbowl3.JPG

thinwallbowl4.JPG

thinwallbowl5.JPG

Attachments

• thinwallbowl1.JPG
    thinwallbowl1.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 1,054
  • thinwallbowl2.JPG
    thinwallbowl2.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 1,054
  • thinwallbowl3.JPG
    thinwallbowl3.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 1,054
  • thinwallbowl4.JPG
    thinwallbowl4.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 1,054
  • thinwallbowl5.JPG
    thinwallbowl5.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 1,054
A very nice little bowl, Nev. I like the proportions. Looks like you should be eating your breakfast cereals out of it.

My guess is sycamore - I've turned a fair bit of that recently and it looks very similar to your photos.

Birch would get my vote - unless there was any leylandii in your firewood pile - then that would put my money on that.

I too would go for either Birch or Sycamore, with Birch top as it is a bit more yellow than white sycamore (Sycamore can be quite dark brown too)

Thanks for the nice comments guys, and i would have plumped for birch (cos any sycamore i have is generally whiter) but then woody went and posted this and camera work aside that leylandii looks very very similar.
We did have a christmas tree that one of the inlaws stuck in the ground one year after xmas and it took and grew rather rapidly. It has since succumbed to the chainsaw so it could possibly be that??
I think I'll label it ' locally grown Welsh wood' :)

I'd say sycamore or birch - hard to say which from the photos. Does any of the figure have a sort of shimmery effect which is often seen on birch? I've had sycamore that was a very similar colour. How soft is it? I've found birch to be a bit softer (and fluffier) than sycamore to turn. Birch is heavier than sycamore, but that's only any use if you have both for comparision :) It could be hawthorn, but I think that's unlikley as it would have probably split at those bark/pitch inclusions if it was. Hawthorn is much harder than sycamore or birch, and heavier.

What did it smell like when you were turning it? I would think Leylandi would smell a bit resinous at least, sycamore has a slightly sweetish smell, not sure about birch though, not had the chance to turn any as far as I remember.

Re the wood ID, for what its worth, i found the rest of the log ( no bark though) and i think it could very well be the christmas tree :shock:
growth rings are a good cm apart so it was a fairly quick grower whatever it is.

KimG":29gaakdw said:
What did it smell like when you were turning it? I would think Leylandi would smell a bit resinous at least, sycamore has a slightly sweetish smell, not sure about birch though, not had the chance to turn any as far as I remember.

It smelled faintly cherry-ish :?: (like the wood not the fruit)

Photo 28-09-2012 12 22 07.jpg

Attachments

• Photo 28-09-2012 12 22 07.jpg
    Photo 28-09-2012 12 22 07.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 813
Laylandii really smells conifery when worked no matter how old it gets; same with Christmas tree.

I very much doubt it's Christmas tree as the wood is really quite awful - reminds me of rolled up paper.

The leylandi I have turned has a smell of cat pee and that's not because a cat has peed on it. There are so many varieties of Xmas tree and the ones I get every year, turns like a dream and finishes extremely well, I have made several earring stands from it and they are brilliant.

regards

unknown timber.jpg
unknown timber1.jpg
I'm new here and relatively new to woodturning, if anyone can ID the wood in the I've made this bowl from it would be appreciated. I think it's some kind of conifer.

Attachments

• unknown timber1.jpg
    unknown timber1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 289
  • unknown timber.jpg
    unknown timber.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 289
skivor":3debbbpb said:
I'm new here and relatively new to woodturning, if anyone can ID the wood in the I've made this bowl from it would be appreciated. I think it's some kind of conifer.

Good looking bowl. Looks very similar to the bowl in question which i suspect is possibly coniferesque. I have decided to call it 'local tree' as its factually correct. :mrgreen:

Back