WIP Small hand tools workshop - flooring and insulation now

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morfa

Established Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting near to being finished with parts of the kitchen and the weather is improving slightly, so I'm looking to sort out my workshop / shed / mancave in the bottom of the garden. I can't keep on using the kitchen as a workshop and the utility room is far too small. There is a 8x6 shed currently in the garden, but again, it's a bit small. At the back of the garden there is a hard standing which is approx 14ft by 8ft (and a tidge).

So I'd like to put a small workshop on there. It'll be for hand tools mainly, so there's just going to be a workbench, toolchest, comfy chair and ideally a very small woodburning stove. And probably a few garden tools, but tbh, I'll make a small shelter for them down teh bottom of the garden, that'll actually be more useful.

I've got a budget of £2k (could spend a tidge more, but would rather spend less). I have wifely permission to widen the hard standing by a foot, so that I can get round the sides of the workshop.

The hard standing is in the corner of the garden at the back, so it's got a stone wall on the back and the right side. So if I'm going to build a wooden workshop, then I need to leave space to I can paint the sides from time to time. So my options are as I see it:

1 - Build a 12x8 shed, move it over by two feet so I can get round the sides to pain it. Make sure shed has a membrane and can be insulated internally. Have spoken to a local shed builder and they can do that well in budget. They'll also install it on the hard standing for a sensible price. I just need to extend it out for them.

2 - Another 12x8 building, but use SIPs and I'll do it all. Again, widen the hardstanding so I can get round the side for painting. I think I can buy all the SIPs in budget.

3 - Get the builders in and have them make me a shed out of breeze blocks. Put it right up against the boundary walls, so I can get something which is about 15 x 9 (externally). Build my own roof. Don't know if this would be in budget. Or if the water will pool between the boundary wall, which is approx 3/4ft tall, causing lots of damp.

4 - Bit left field here, but bear with me. Buy a shed. But put it on some kind of base that I can move so I can get to the sides / back so I can paint it every year or two.

I can't make the hard standing much bigger. I'm aware it's small, but my current space is minute (about 7ft by 4ft), so it'll have to do. All of these are under 15m2, so there is no need to worry about planning permission.

There are planning regs etc to be taken into account as well. I think one of them says that if your building is less than 1 metre from a boundary it must be made of essentially fireproof materials.

Grahamshed":1a25rxkz said:
There are planning regs etc to be taken into account as well. I think one of them says that if your building is less than 1 metre from a boundary it must be made of essentially fireproof materials.

If it's under 15m2, then that doesn't matter. I've already checked the planning regs. If it's between 15-30m2 then you have to either be 1m away or built of non-combustible material. If it's 14ft by 8ft, then it's under 15m2, so it's ok. 15ft by 10ft is slightly over 15m2 however.

Pretty sure there's a limit on height, too, if it's less than a metre or 2 metres from the boundary. Can't remember the exact height limit but I think it's 2.5 metres. Not too sure if it applies to brick-built buildings only, or includes wooden buildings too.

Stu_2":3c8x8ff5 said:
Pretty sure there's a limit on height, too, if it's less than a metre or 2 metres from the boundary. Can't remember the exact height limit but I think it's 2.5 metres. Not too sure if it applies to brick-built buildings only, or includes wooden buildings too.
From the planning portal

Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof

If i was closer i would help with the build. SIPs would be good IMO. However does the cost of the SIPs include the external coverings etc?

Just checked my paperwork. In addition to the above, it also states that if the building is within 2 metres of the property boundary, the overall height should not exceed 2.5m.

Carl - Yeah, I'd just worked out the cost of the SIPs, no coverings. I don't recall them being that close to the 2k, so should be able to afford the rest of it.

Stu - Yeah, saw that as well, it would be well with in all the height and size restrictions. No planning issues (I've checked).

Going back to the SIP costings, it seems they can be had for around £100 per 8x4 sheet. Very roughly, that's two sheets for each end and four for each side. So that's (very roughly) about 12 sheets, which is about £1200. I suspect I'll be able to do a roof, cladding and a base for £800. I would obviously have to shorten them a bit to make sure they come inside the planning permission dimensions.

morfa":eca0u6d0 said:
Grahamshed":eca0u6d0 said:

If it's under 15m2, then that doesn't matter. I've already checked the planning regs. If it's between 15-30m2 then you have to either be 1m away or built of non-combustible material. If it's 14ft by 8ft, then it's under 15m2, so it's ok. 15ft by 10ft is slightly over 15m2 however.
Hi Morfa
15x10 sq ft is only 13.935m2. 15m2 is roughly 161 sq ft.

Regards Keith

nathandavies - yes, it does appeal. However I'm currently doing up the kitchen and I'm signed up to doing major garden works. There's a limit to how much stuff I can do myself.

eriba - Thanks for correcting me. I was rounding up a lot. Least I'm under and not over.

JustBen - I'll have plenty of time to sit, I'm sure.

Some rough cost for the SIPs, assuming a 16ft by 8ft shed.

£810 + delivery / pick-up for 12, 8x4, 100mm thick SIPs - so say £900
£310 for T&G cladding
£50 for battens to affix the cladding to
£30 for membrane to cover shed in

So far £1300 (rounding up a bit)

Roof:
£160 - joists (budgeted for 1 joist per 1ft, probably too many)
£150 - roof shingles
£30 - roofing mebrane
£50 - soffits/fascia stuff

So far £1700 (rounding up again)

Base:
£200 - bricks
£50 - concrete and rubble to extend concrete base
£100 - ply flooring
£50 - joists

Or I could probably do it out of breeze blocks/railway sleepers for half that.

Finally a tidge over £2100 all in for a SIP building. Plus at least a week of my time and I'd imagine I'll make a pigs ear of something first time round. Prices are all either from Wickes or ebay for the SIPs. I reckon if I went to the local timber yard, it'd be a bit cheaper. They'd also deliver the lot for me.

Have just been looking at prices for concrete buildings. Does anyone have one? Are they any good?

morfa":6bju4hl7 said:
Have just been looking at prices for concrete buildings. Does anyone have one? Are they any good?
Dad's got a concrete garage by Compton and to be honest it's great. There were a few options available when he had it done ie, side doors, double doors, extra height and windows.
A word of warning though, he moans like hell about trying to fix anything to the walls. He's drilled right through a few times, especially when it was wired for lights and power but that could be cured (if he'd listen to me) by lining it with 3/4 ply and using the fixing points that it's constructed with.
Went up in a day and the panels were easily managed between 2 of us.

The SIPS option seems interesting, I notice quite a few people mention it as a build option.

secondsandco have 142mm SIPS for £80.00

Robin

I just been through exactly the same process as you, debating the various options and in the end opted for a log cabin kit. I upgraded the base so it could sit on pier foundations instead of a concrete slab, put felt shingles on the roof and I've ended up with a 5m x 4m 44mm double glazed cabin for £2350.

It took just over 2 weeks to arrive, 1.5 days to build and a day to shingle the roof.

HTH

Steve

Back