which table saw should i go for

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yanansi

Reaction score
hi all
i am new to woodworking and need a table saw after christmas. after looking around i got three option in my mind. i am not sure which is suit me best. BTW my budget is aound 500quid.
1. Bosch GTS 10 £528.40+shipping at axminster
2. matika 2704 £461.78+shipping at axminster
3. trion workcentre2000+trion circle saw aound £400+shipping

i set my workshop in a single garage so space and mobility is my first concern.

thanks

What size is your garage. I am also in a single garage about 9'6" wide. I managed to fit a cast iron cabinet saw in quite easily. It is on a mobile base so I can move it out of the way if I need more space.

The biggest downside IMO with the saws you have mentioned (not sure about the triton) is that they have brush motors, Very noisy.

I would recommend going for a more substatial machine with a cast iron table and an induction motor.

I have the SIP 10" cast iron model. You can get it for about £450-£500. (I seem to be reccomending this alot recently)

Do a search , as this topic has been covered numerous times before.

i have to say my choice would definitely be the triton. a well tried and well made design. the table saw function has greater capaicity than the others and the dust collection has been addressed. using the triton saw allows great accuracy with angle adjustment this was a problem with normal saws. not to mention the cross cut function and using the saw as a portable. and also other functions using the router. the other two saws are well made and have certain ease of use advantages but not the capacities and versatility. it must cost more than £400 i think.

as usual to throw the cat amongst the pigeons

why a table saw, what are you going to cut??
do you need to cut wide panels, or what are you going to do.

there is much to be said for starting with a saw and rail system,
and some say a band saw is a better starting point.

i speak as someone who has a dewalt 744, and have finally built the
mobile box for it. it is useful, but takes up a lot of room, and only since
it has been more mobile have i found it as useful as i thought it would be.
still spends a lot of time with tools and odds on the worksurface too.

think about what you want to cut, then maybe look in a different direction,
or at least come back and let us point you elsewhere :lol: :lol:

paul :wink:

Rutlands have got the metabo PK200 kit at £500-00 also the matabo site saw £270-00 in their sale items at the minute :) .

Slimjim81":ogcgio6a said:
What size is your garage. I am also in a single garage about 9'6" wide. I managed to fit a cast iron cabinet saw in quite easily. It is on a mobile base so I can move it out of the way if I need more space.The biggest downside IMO with the saws you have mentioned (not sure about the triton) is that they have brush motors, Very noisy.
I would recommend going for a more substatial machine with a cast iron table and an induction motor.

my garage is about 9' X 18' and after replace my bench i think i could fit a biger table saw in. how can i tell which kind of moter it is?

engineer one":ogcgio6a said:
as usual to throw the cat amongst the pigeons
why a table saw, what are you going to cut??
do you need to cut wide panels, or what are you going to do.
i do need cut some panels i mean resize and i think i can also use it to do some plane work. a 1m high book case is what i plan to make next and it is chrismas i need some good stuff to treat myself.

just withdraw the bosch and makita from my list

thanks all of you, sorry about my bad english, as a chinese i am trying my best to make it perfect. i found the spellcheck is so great!!

engineer one":371qxx52 said:
wish my chinese was that good.

still not sure that a table saw is the answer.

chinese is a beautiful langauge but all the chinese are learning english ATM!!! :oops:

i started wood work 3 months ago with a couple of hand saw and plane the only power tools is a screw driver and a jig saw, i found i hardly make a piece of wood flat and square. i normally use the jig saw to cut wood into size with a home made rail but it is not acuurte. after watch some video i realize that table saw could cut it perfectly and you could use that to plane small piece. you could also set a dado blade to make nice finger joint. thats all i want to do.

cheers

frankly mate you are trying to learn too many things too quickly, and whilst a table saw may seem like the answer, i wonder.
remember i already have a table saw, and it does take up a lot of room, and needs room around it.

the most recent developments of hand held circular saws and accurate factory made track systems offer a number of advantages to those with
limited space, and also new comers. the rail system ensures straight lines and can be joined with other parts that allow square cuts too.

i prefer the mafell system, but others use and recommend the festo.
can i suggest you look at the last issue of Good Woodworking and the review of the Mafell KSP 140 flexisystem. the saw cuts too 42mm and has a 1400 long rail, which can be extended with another extension. this kit also includes a unit which allows cross cuts against a square up to 16 inch wide. remember it will cut certain types of kitchen worktops.

the important thing however is that you can make a knock down surface to cut on, and then use the bench to assemble. one advantage of the saw and rail is that you need less overhang all the way round because you move the saw, not the wood. worth thinking about. :lol:

as for the chinese learning english, surely it must be easier to have one language to communicate with than all the tongues in china?? :twisted:

welcome to the forum , or is it madhouse :?

The Triton Workcentre table top is larger than either of the other two saws mentioned. The ripping capacity (either side of the blade) is 620mm. It will cross-cut up to around 400mm, bevel in cross-cut mode to any angle, bevel in rip mode at 45 degrees (or, with an additional accessory, anywhere between 15 and 90 degrees). The legs fold down and the whole thing will easily fit into the back of a car, or hang on your garage wall. You have a tablesaw that will go anywhere, even on rough terrain. Other tablesaws can't do that.

The Precision Saw has a 235mm blade and a 3.25HP motor. Bevel angles have pre-set detents at the commonly-used settings, plus a bevel angle trimmer (+ or - 1 degree) and a fine height adjuster with a 6mm range. It has bevel angle locks front and rear and a side ripping guide. The blade spanner fits right onto the side handle, so it's always with you. When you wish, it's a brilliant separate circular saw, with all the power you'll ever need. The added advantage of this saw is that it's made to fit the Workcentre, so setting it up and adjusting it is a simple, one-off operation which is then absolutely accurate.

If, later on, you added the Maxi Sliding Table Extension, you'd be able to handle full size sheet goods too. The fence on the extension table has to be used to be appreciated, but it's absolutely brilliant. Cutting 2240mm x 1220mm (8 x 4 sheets) is not only easy, it's safe too. Want to take a sliver off the bottom of a door? - no problem, the sliding table will do that too.

wrkctr14.jpg

Now to prices, all sourced from www.tritontools.co.uk this morning, all include VAT and 2-4 day shipping is FREE.

The Triton Workcentre 2000 is £192.98 and the Precision Circular Saw is £179.89. Thus for £372.87 shipped (or £382.87 next day), you've got a great, flexible system. Add to that the Maxi Sliding Extension Table (£174.98.) and you've now got a panel saw and a sliding carriage saw that will take full-size sheet goods, yet hang up on your garage wall. Let's see an "ordinary" table saw do that for £547.85.

N.B: No connection with www.tritontools.co.uk other than as a satisfied customer. They'll be shut for Christmas from 13th. December so you'll have a bit of time to think things over!

I'm not only an enthusiast of Triton products, I've been persuaded (by their European Manager) to demonstrate for them, so perhaps I'm a little biaised. :)

Ray.

miss the dead line to order the triton but seeing some good deal on ebay.

about the sip CI table saw, i like it very much and the price is just what i have. when i do a search i found the Axminster AW10BSB2 Saw Bench(with the Sliding Table) which is looks exactly like the sip one. are they same? Axminster offer 599quid which include shipping.

i am not sure which to go and this 2 option is final so will you guys help me out.

cheers

Yes, the axminster and the SIP are the same saw. What you have to think about though is that you workshop probably isn't big enough for a sliding table. In which case, I would go for the SIP as you can get £150 cheaper without the sliding table.

Slimjim81 have you try any dado set on your sip? i found that not much people here like to cut dado with their table saw. why is that? any sad story about it? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

oh another thing is how much do you pay for your mobile base.

can find a good deal out there under 450quid+shipping atm cause i am living in belfast.

cheers

You can't run a dado set on many european saws (including the SIP). The arbour is normally too short. I think there are only a few saws which do have a long enough arbour like the Xcalibur range.

IMO Dado sets are an unnecessary risk, as the same task can be performed quicker and much safer using a router and straight edge.

There are a few reasons why the word 'Dado' is such a taboo around here.

One of them is the fact that all guards must be removed in order to use one. IMO it is also too easy to become complacent and leave guards and the riving knife out permanatly if you are using a dado set regularly.

Another reason, i believe is to do with braked motors. I have heard stories of chippers flying past peoples heads as the dado set removes itself from the saw.

I might be being a scare monger, but I really don't think Stacked dado sets are worth it.

Mobile base was about £40.

I'm with Jim on this one, bought the SIP on his recommendation and have been well happy with it. My shop is 8' x 16' and it fits nicely, definately not enough room for you to get the sliding table but better to invest in a good mitre gauge anyway. Bought the mobile base with my SIP so I can move it out of the way when necessary.

Latest posts

Back