Two new oak hollow forms-critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornucopia

Established Member
Reaction score
hello folks

here's two new forms which are fresh of the lathe

this form is 7" wide x 5.5"tall with a 7/8" diameter hollowing hole.
P1040599.jpg

P1040603.jpg

this form is textured and is 7"wide x 5"tall with a 7/8" diameter hollowing hole
P1040606.jpg

P1040607.jpg

I love the shape and overlapping ripples effect from the grain on the first one. The second one does less for me, it's almost as if it is out of focus however weirdly the grain shows up more. Is it taken from a lower angle as the opening looks more truncated than the elegance of the top one?

Still fantastic forms and the hollowing from the top of the piece is getting pretty extreme - fantastic work

:)

Miles

Thanks Miles

Its taken from the same angle but the design of the neck on the textured piece is simply a collar rather than a flow upto the opening- which i think is the difffence your picking up on.

I too love the counter-rotating grain on the first one.

To my mind the texturing obscures that effect on the second one.

The shape of the first seems slightly smoother as well.

I much prefer the first.

I love both, the second makes me want to handle it, looks tactile. How did you do the texturing? (You knew I was going to ask that didn't you? :lol: )

I like em both George :D
First one i like for it's nice clean and sharp look,and the second for the effect the texturing has on the grain.
Both are nice forms again,to me. :shock:

Very nice george.Thats some really unusual patterned Oak with the dark bands. Love the second one, your texturing looks great at right angles to the timbers rays,it gives it an almost hessian appearence to the texture.

JT

loving the 2nd one !

Looks a little like Pascal Oudet's sandblasted oak pieces from the photo.

Lovely pieces George. I`d be interested to know if you have any ratios in mind when making these or do they evolve as you make them?. Been watching Mark Sanger`s dvd and he gets some nice shapes using 1/3rds ie opening to width, top to curve height wise etc some interesting stuff online about the golden ratio too?
Cheers
Steve

like the shape of the first two
Was the texturing straight forward? - thought the wood would be a bit brittle

Thank you for all of your kind comments

the textureing is done by cutting grooves around the piece then wire brush then genrally bash it around a bit until the desired effect is reached.

Hi George

Lovely forms.

I love the float/shadow you have thrown on the base, gives them a lovely light feel.

Nice work.

Back