Yet another wood ID

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgarry

Established Member
Reaction score
Could somebody make an educated guess at what type of wood this is? It came from a box of hardwood offcuts that I bought from eBay a couple of years back.

woodid1.jpg

The strips were about 80mm wide and were a pig to plane without getting tearout until I took very shallow cuts with a tiny small gap in front of the blade. After being planed smooth the wood has an almost 'holographic' look to it if that makes sense.

Cheers,

Attachments

• woodid1.jpg
    woodid1.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 96
Looks like Tulipwood. Planes beautifully and quite a stable timber. Paints well but sometimes has a greeny tinge to it.

Edit. Missed your second line below the pictures so probably not tuilp at all. The comment below make far more sense

That could be maple. How's the hardness compare to other woods you have on hand?

A clear photo of the end grain, planed or sanded very smooth and wetted down with white spirit would help narrow possible candidates down.

cgarry":1tc52knw said:
After being planed smooth the wood has an almost 'holographic' look to it if that makes sense.
Totally. A few woods have this chatoyance in spades, maple is one and birch is another. Birch is another possibility here but my guess is a type of maple is more likely.

Thanks for the replies. I am just using this wood for the ends of some scrapwood jewellery boxes copied from The Wood Whisperer. I chose it from all the wood I had lying around purely because it makes a nice contrast with the Walnut wood that the main part of the box is made from. It was an awful lot harder to plane than the nice straight grained Walnut I used.

Here is a photo of the end grain with a little boiled linseed oil added to show up some detail.

woodid2.jpg

If it helps it is a bit less dense than the cherry wood that I also made some box ends from.

Cheers

Attachments

• woodid2.jpg
    woodid2.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 46
Back