Shelves and unit - Now updated with final pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottGoddard

Established Member
Reaction score
Since deciding to try and get a little more serious with wood work (bought a better table saw, bench drill and thickness) the first project I decided to go for was some floating shelve and a new unit for DVD, sky box (floating as well). These will be position in two shallow but wide alcoves (already moved the TV and sound bar on to the chimney).

Everything is going to be built out of birch plywood (18mm). So would have to cover up the edges, for the shelves I mitred everything so cover those up and made a hollow shelve, separated by 18mm MDF cut-offs. These are nearly ready for their finish, and then I'll build some more.

The unit went through several redesigns until I got board and wanted to build....Which of course meant a couple of rethinks along the way. I am still working on this piece, there are a good few more hours to get to the finish stage....edge band everything, re-cut the doors (forgot about the edge banding), fit the doors, sand, work out handle approach for the door.

anyway, thoughts would be great (although not rebuilding....) but would be good for the next project which is a console table and coffee tables for the lounge.

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1487.JPG

IMG_1488.JPG

IMG_1489.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1491.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1485.JPG
    IMG_1485.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,810
  • IMG_1486.JPG
    IMG_1486.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,810
  • IMG_1487.JPG
    IMG_1487.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 1,810
  • IMG_1488.JPG
    IMG_1488.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,810
  • IMG_1489.JPG
    IMG_1489.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,810
  • IMG_1490.JPG
    IMG_1490.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 1,810
  • IMG_1491.JPG
    IMG_1491.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,810
Hi Scott, don't get disheartened. It looks very smart to me but I'm not at any level to be able to offer advice I'm afraid. I posted some plans/ideas for alcove units I'm planning and didn't get any replies either. Maybe its not alcove interest week. :D
Was looking at MDF for mine, but your Birch ply has me thinking. The doors are worrying me, maybe a mix of both would be a better solution.
Keep up the good work and please keep posting progress pics. You might find there's people out there watching who don't reply for various reasons but are enjoying your progress with it and maybe learning a thing or two at the same time from your project. Edge banding has me a little stumped at the moment for example. One good thing about not getting much time to do what I'd like to do is I have plenty of time to puzzle it out inbetween while I'm doing all the things I'd rather not be doing. :D
Cheers and good luck.
Chris

I chose birch so i could stain the wood and hopefully get a 'real' wood finish (clearly it's real wood but not painted MDF), plus MDF is much heavier. The doors aren't settling with me either. I was going to put draws in, however, these are for DVDs and draws would take up too much room. I am open to ideas of how to improve the doors.....On the right-hand side, it will be glass frosted shelves for the Sky box and blue ray player.

I am planning on doing the edge banding this week, will update the pictures.

Fair point on people just watching and consuming as I do that as well and thanks for your thoughts and feed back.

Fair point on people just watching and consuming as I do that as well and thanks for your thoughts and feed back.
I think many people do not pop into this section. Although technically this is the right place, you'd get more response in the general woodworking section.

Nice work mate!

I for one love a good alcove project.
Please post more, if anything to inspire me to sort out the huge lumps of Sycamore I have in the conservatory waiting to be turned into an alcove project of my own! :D

Will

So i have been working on the finish for these pieces and through another thread been getting some very good direction on the possible/best approaches.

The unit and shelves will all get the same finish. 3 coats of colron Georgian medium oak wood dye, sanded in between coats, first with 240 and then second two with 1500 (lots of work but very smooth). The one coat of colron french polish (shellac really), this was applied with a cloth and then sanded (lightly) with 1500 again....

I have done all the shelves as the unit need to mod before putting the coats on....

I was going for a teak (ish) to match an old unit (again in another thread). I then wanted a protective shine, but not deep to the finish. What are your thoughts,

IMG_1518.JPG

IMG_1519.JPG

IMG_1520.JPG

IMG_1522.JPG

IMG_1521.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1518.JPG
    IMG_1518.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,421
  • IMG_1519.JPG
    IMG_1519.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 1,421
  • IMG_1520.JPG
    IMG_1520.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,421
  • IMG_1521.JPG
    IMG_1521.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,421
  • IMG_1522.JPG
    IMG_1522.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,421
Thought i would update the thread with the latest picture, the shelves are all done and the unit just needs some finishing touches....

The first picture shows the solution i took for all the shelves. The dowels are about 12" and should hold a fair amount of weight. That beeing said i doubt we will be putting much weight on them.

IMG_1595.JPG

The next few pictures are the shelves and unit going up....

IMG_1595.JPG

IMG_1594.JPG

the next picture is the cable cover arrangement i made up...

IMG_1901.JPG

The final picture are them in the final position, i need to stain one more piece and get the glass shelves for the unit,

IMG_2006.JPG

IMG_2007.JPG

nearly a done.

Attachments

• IMG_1595.JPG
    IMG_1595.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,170
  • IMG_1593.JPG
    IMG_1593.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,158
  • IMG_1594.JPG
    IMG_1594.JPG