The Beehive - for critique please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gitface

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I've been having a bit of experimental phase, trying new things and shapes. Also been waiting for my light tent to show up so these are the first picture with it (need to get lighting and white balance right yet)

I call this the Beehive.

Beehive.jpg

The wood is Scyamore with some spalting.

This is my second attempt at a hollow form and overall I'm happy with how it turned out. It stands just over 4" high by 3" wide with the hole at 1 3/8".

I was a bit disappointed with the ribs as I couldn't get a smooth finish in between, not sure if it was the wood or technique. I used my thin parting tool to cut the grooves then rounded the top.

The picture tends to show this more than in the flesh.

Thanks,

Mark...........

Mark

If you use a spindle gouge the same width as your parting tool you should be able to do a cove in between the beads :wink:

and end up with a good finish

:lol:

Yes, its a shame about the roughness in the grooves, but I love the form. Can you re-mount it and try to sand out the roughness?

Blister":1pyu20sy said:
Mark

If you use a spindle gouge the same width as your parting tool you should be able to do a cove in between the beads :wink:

and end up with a good finish

:lol:

I'll give it a go on the next one with my smallest spindle gouge - 1/4" but the parting tool I used is about 2.5mm wide.

Thanks for the comments.

Mark...

Mark, you seem to be trying to run before you can walk, at first I thought you were deliberately trying to emulate a Straw finish with a deliberate rough texture but reading you description I see it was not deliberate.

Even with a sharp parting tool, presented correctly you should be able to obtain a smooth finish to the base of the coves (grooves). Any minor imperfections would have been easily removed with careful sanding and a better blending of contour while you were at it.

You need to practise cutting beads and coves with a small spindle gouge, with correct bevel contact and flow of the wrist you should be able to achieve that sort of surface pattern with little or no need for sanding.

Surface finish is paramount, peoples opinions on form, style or concept vary enormously but the one thing that they will always have to give you credit for is a well finished piece.

Mark I like the idea of this, as has been said the finish isn't so good but if you want to take the rough approach a wire brush in a drill would rough texture this up a treat, giving it a nice soft look.
Keep up the good work and everything will fall into place with more practise 8)

JT

Latest posts

Back