Table Saw Side Extension - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Findley

Established Member
Reaction score
I love my table saw. There are only 2 draw backs:

1- No blade tilt, not much I can do about that other than find other ways of cutting angles

2- Not much table to the left of the blade to support long work when cross cutting. This I have rectified!!!

I have a 96tpi blade that leave the most fantastic finish on end grain when cross cutting and on small stuff I can manage no problem,

P4190028.JPG

P4190030.JPG

Longer work however is more tricky and it becomes difficult and then dangerous to do. I have been podering this for a while now and the problem, like many of you, is space. A side table would just be in the way.

I was at George's workshop the other day (Cornucopia) and he showed me a folding table he uses for carving etc and I was impressed. He used 2 brackets that fold away and yet can carry massive wieght. Perfect solution!!!

So I went to Screwfix and bought a pair: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/56422...ts/Adjustable-Folding-Bracket-400mm-Pack-of-2

They do a 300mm and a 400mm, so I had the bigger set. They can hold 200kg (that's more than 2 of me!!!) so I set about fixing them to the saw. M6 pozi head bolts with Nylock nuts:

P4220026.JPG

Obviously they are below the level of the top so I had to build them up with some 3x3 pine that I had (perfect size!!!)

P4220027.JPG

Then for the 18mm MDF top:

P4220028.JPG

P4220029.JPG

P4220030.JPG

Good and sturdy and folds away when not in use. Perfect!!

Not tested it properly yet but I have a load of cutting to do tomorrow so it will get a good run out!!

Hope you enjoyed reading. Please feel free to comment and ask questions as usual.

Cheers

Richard

hi richard

lovely old saw you have there , what a pity no tilt to it, your brkts may have just about solved two problems for me as well , certainly one problem has now been solved, i 'll have to give the other some more thught but hey thats now put the old grey matter into overdrive again, thanks for posting interesting . hc :wink: :D

That looks great richard.

I think you could do with adding a little hardwood strip to the edges of the table as over time it gets knocked its going to bulge as MDF does. That would also give it some extra rigidity.

that looks great, will put 1 on my old saw bench as a rear take off table :lol:

chill":1v6dr64l said:
that looks great, will put 1 on my old saw bench as a rear take off table :lol:

My thought's precisely.

Nice idea Richard.

Cheers

Karl

Thanks for your comments guys. Gave it a good run out Friday afternoon cutting a load of panels. Works a treat!!

Edge strips will probably follow but I didn't bother initially until I knew I was happy with it. Problem is "temporary measures" often become permanent :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll: :wink:

Richard

Looks like a good solution, Richard. Perhaps more "convenient" that Steve Maskery's own design but, if you really wanted, with the weight capacities of those brackets, you could also build a torsion box-style construction for the support table. I like Chems' idea of lipping the edges. You may also want to consider laminating it with Formica, if the MDF starts to wear over time (though, this would raise it approximately 1mm higher than the saw :?).

A great space-saving solution. :)

On the other hand, it's for supporting wood occasionally when using the TS. :lol:

Well Done Rich. Simples

hi

i agree with toms statement , occasionally , if it get worn in yrs to come it cheap enough to replace the mdf, doesn't need to be anything special. it just there to be functional, nice to tart it up, but, well down to the individual . hc

Thanks for the comments guys.

I've always been sceptical about using MDF as a suface but after working for a shopfitting company for a couple of years that had a Wadkin LS Router (proper blokes router that is :!: :!: :wink: ) with a 35mm 8x4 sheet as a kind of sacrificial table top (extends the normal 30" square cast iron top) and finding how well it works, I'm now less worried about using it. As HC says, it's only pennies (ok a few quid) to replace it in a couple of years time if needs be.

Cheers

Richard

xy mosian":stzg49s4 said:
Aye and me being a skinflint It'll turn over once. Unless you've glued it of course.

Spoken like a true Yorkshireman :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: ..... good thinking though... :-k :-k :-k :wink:

Richard

Back