Shooting board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
This is my latest shooting board. The first image is in normal mode, the runway is a part of a Tesco cutting board, not the small vertical piece (woodbloke idea) that the sole of the plane rests against.

2291799973_d4c2a2e532.jpg

the second image is with the mitre attachment, note the clamp to restrict any movement on the back stroke. You will see in the third image that the mitre attachment engages with a 6mm pin on the left of the main board, you can just see the hole. To the right of the mitre board you can see a fine adjustment screw, this allows you to set the mitre board to exactly 45 degrees.

2291816289_9b88e34c5a.jpg

2292594158_552595d204.jpg

Pete, that looks like a very professional piece of kit, well done. Is the Tesco chopping board smooth...almost all the ones I've seen are textured to make them more 'grippy'...the opposite of what you want in a shootong board runway. Also, how is it attached?

That is absolutely brilliant, Pete =D> =D> Every time I think you've cracked it, you come up with something even better....... :wink:

As the plane is running on plastic, there will be virtually no wear, so it will remain accurate, and I love that adjustment screw on the 45 degree mitre piece.

Thanks for posting those pictures, Pete - I must get in the workshop and knock one up.......

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Pete - many thanks for posting that, I've almost finished my one now, need to set the angle on the 45deg shoot by making a picture frame this morning. Can't post pics of mine...no camera :( but it looks the same as yours - Rob

George, in fact the cutting mat does have a very fine texture, but it has surprisingly low friction, (Paul and woodbloke thought it was quite smooth to use) and if you want super low friction a small amount of Camellia oil does the trick. It is very hard wearing stuff, I have attached mine using double sided tape as I felt screws would distort the 2.5mm cutting mat material. Perspex scratches for some reason this does not, well not yet any way, I think I could get at least 4 replacements out of the mat. By the way they come in a pack of 2 one red one white the red one is much smaller. I cut mine on the band saw.

Pete - have shot in the 45deg attachment now and made a square pic frame with 60mm mitres that has gone together spot on, so am quite well chuffed with this shoot... very nice piece concept, will be interesting to see how you'll modify it to take the Donkey's Ear we nattered about on Sunday... apart from other stuff :wink: - Rob

newt":a7e2h8o2 said:
George, in fact the cutting mat does have a very fine texture, but it has surprisingly low friction, (Paul and woodbloke thought it was quite smooth to use) and if you want super low friction a small amount of Camellia oil does the trick. It is very hard wearing stuff, I have attached mine using double sided tape as I felt screws would distort the 2.5mm cutting mat material. Perspex scratches for some reason this does not, well not yet any way, I think I could get at least 4 replacements out of the mat. By the way they come in a pack of 2 one red one white the red one is much smaller. I cut mine on the band saw.

Thanks Pete, I'll be giving the cutting mat a try.

Blast! Why didn't I think of a 45 degree insert, I made separate boards? :oops:
For durability my plane runs on Acrylic and the cutting face has a brass rubbing strip. I've been using the same board(s) for 3 yrs now without any need to dress or recut anything.

I made a 45 degree mitre insert for mine, similar to yours but without the alignment grub screw. I will pinch that idea, thanks for sharing it.

I have finally finished the last accessory for the shooting board, this is for mitering wide boards. You can see it attached to the basic shooting board using the same method as for the previous mitre board. you can see on the final image that I have added 4 fine adjusting screws, one in each corner in case it did not come out at 45 degrees, it did, so they my be redundant. I still have incorporated the fine adjuster like the other board and the clamp stop any movement.

2298318271_ae4d7930df.jpg

2298320187_4b0fc6563c.jpg

2299117072_839d493b65.jpg

Piccies of it in use? (particularly a mitred joint)

Looks a lot better than my MDF effort :oops:

Tony I will try get someone to take some action shots, I shot a couple of miters this afternoon and they were spot on. I will get a third party to give their opinion.

newt":2fvs3nis said:
Tony I will try get someone to take some action shots, I shot a couple of miters this afternoon and they were spot on. I will get a third party to give their opinion.

Whose's that going to be Pete? :wink: :lol: - Rob

Back