Screw size, piano hinge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paininthe

Established Member
Reaction score
Complete newbie here. In the great scheme of things this seems like an easy question.

I am fitting some piano hinge to mdf for a cupboard door. The dia of the holes is 3.8mm and the dia of the countersink is 5mm and thickness of the hinge is .8mm What screw should I use so the head is not proud of the hinge. All the screws I have are much too proud.

Is there a special screw for this application, a link would be great.

On a similar note, how deep should I make the rebate for the hinge the total depth of the hinge is 3.2mm.

TIA

Are you screwing into the end grain of MDF? You might have problems there. Make sure you drill a pilot. I think I'd be inclined to either use euro hinges or insert plugs at each screw point.

Jason Isaac Lord charges £6 for postage even on small items. Is there an alternative source or screw you can use with Piano Hinges? I happen to also be about to install some.

I'm sure there are other sources, just Google "Reisser Hinge Screws" and there are plenty, its just a case of finding the cheapest :wink:

You may get away with 2.5x25 screws

Jason

How many piano hinge screws do you need, I have just ordered a box full and will not use them all so you are welcome to some. These are 3 mm x 25 mm and specifically for piano hinges, send me your details and I'll put some in the post.

Waka":aujajpwo said:
How many piano hinge screws do you need, I have just ordered a box full and will not use them all so you are welcome to some. These are 3 mm x 25 mm and specifically for piano hinges, send me your details and I'll put some in the post.

That's a great offer, thanks, i'm at work at the moment but it's 2 x900mm lenghts. I'll look online first and see if i need anything else from the suppliers. I'll get back to you. Thanks again.

Paul

wizer":26g7e69i said:
Are you screwing into the end grain of MDF? You might have problems there. Make sure you drill a pilot.
Another thing to do, I think it was Niki who pointed this one out, drill the pilot hole and then use super glue on it. This will bond the fibres together and make the screw grip better.

DaveL":32qaqew6 said:
wizer":32qaqew6 said:
Are you screwing into the end grain of MDF? You might have problems there. Make sure you drill a pilot.
Another thing to do, I think it was Niki who pointed this one out, drill the pilot hole and then use super glue on it. This will bond the fibres together and make the screw grip better.

No problem.

Derek Willis.":ecr3xg0h said:
I don't know what sort of piano hinge you are using, but, everyone I have used is not countersunk, and I do the countyersinking myself, that also give one more chance to recees the heads.
Derek.

I'm using the ones from Ironmongery Direct and they come already countersunk, they also sell the matching screws.

Back