Sawing a straight line

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Following on from Colarris's thread about cleaning up dovetails, I cut some myself at the weekend and they needed a fair bit of cleaning up.

Happy with my marking out, but I struggle with cutting a straight line.

I try to let the saw do the work, try to relax, try to make sure my arm is at 90 degrees to the work, but I still struggle.

I've tried pull saws and at the minute I'm using a nice little crown gents saw.

With the board vertical in the vice I start the cut dead straight, then make my way down the vertical line. The line nearest me is fine, but on the opposite side of the board, the saw dives off to the right every time. I try to adjust but nothing seems to work.

I'll have another go tonight with a pull saw and see if I can describe whats occurring there.

They end up looking ok once paired to fit, but I spend 5 times as long cleaning up as I do marking and chopping out.

Cheers!! :) :)

Try putting a mirror behind the work so you can see the back side this my help you to correct. If the saw is always producing a cut on the back side to the right of the line ( eg the saw cuts towards the one o clock direction) then try moving your position ( your feet) to the right and see if that helps.

As Pete suggests, it's probably your stance that is wrong. But keep at it - it's like swimming or riding a bike, once you get it you'll be surprised that you struggled for so long.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks chaps. I'm sure I have a spare piece of mirror somewhere. I'll give that a try as well as adjusting my stance.

I might make some sawdust this weekend practicing rather than trying it out on real projects!

Cheers

Following on from a few evenings practise I fell I'm 'getting my hand in' now.

I opted to just butcher some wood by cutting hundreds of straight lines and eventually started to modify my stance and relax!! :)

With my new found skills and bags of enthusiasm I ploughed on with what started all of this.....

6075408615_cb9f7566ff.jpg

This has been one of those projects where everything that can go wrong has. Starting with my straight line issue and having to go back to basics to resolve this.

My requirement for straight lines was to achieve these...

6075947134_5c4c1fb339.jpg

I ended up routing a housing joint the wrong side of one of the sides. I intend to put a filler piece in here so routed the other side to match. (you might need to click the image to see a larger version to see what I'm talking about).

Somehow, even though I checked with a square, the ends I shot square seem to be ever so slightly concave once I have assembled everything. This is preventing me fitting a drawer to this upper area now, but I have an idea for some doors instead.

For one of the drawer fronts I found a lovely bit of walnut that I've had kicking around and cut it to rough length. I then ploughed ahead and cut to rough height but somehow managed to cut over my line. Once cleaned up it is just about bang on size, but once the drawer is fitted I think it will be a tad loose. I have also cut some side from some quarter sawn oak. Not sure what I'm going to use for the base yet.

I have decided to use this piece to incorporate as many techniques as possible and stand as an example of how not to do things.

I have also been spending some time getting to grips with my scraper. WOW! what a fantastic thing! Took a few goes to get a good burr, but what a tool! I have scrapped the top and bottom. When I have added the filler piece on the sides I will scrape those too.

Hopefully some good will come of it!

Looks good, you'll soon be wondering what all the fuss was about.
The guide I use is my finger!

Roy.

Cheers Peter, theres a bunch of sawdust in my shed thats testament to that!

Finger makes a great guide, just dont mistake it for wood!

Cheers Chris. I should have elabourated that it was cutting the dovetails with the grain I was struggling with. I use the same technique as you in that video and it works a treat for cross grain cutting.

It was one of your videos along with some other youtubers that got my scrapers in a usable state so many thanks for that! I have found my new favourite tool. (theres a load of shavings in my shed that are testament to that as well)

I havent really followed through taking photos of all the stages so rather than a dedicated WIP I will just add to this thread where I started.

6093561025_9a0527b221.jpg

I spent today making a drawer for this. My goodness, at the rate I work its a good job its not my living!!

There is still plenty to do, but I am really really pleased with how this is coming along. Its by no means perfect, but is heading where I envisiged.

6094097544_895c0235c4.jpg

Lapped dovetails front and through at the rear. Thin plywood base which is in a groove in the front and I added slips at the sides as the sides were so thin.

Apologies for the photos, from my phone.

6093560419_03f56fcd3f.jpg

The drawer is just a tad tight all the way round, so after some final scraping should be a great fit.

The main carcass is maple, the drawer front is walnut (scrap off cut from a forum member I found tucked away in my shed). The drawer sides are quarter sawn oak and the drawer back is mahogany (from some reclaimed furniture).

I plan on keeping small tools in it, in my workshop and also to server as a reminder to plan properly, practice often and keep learning.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do at the top as I dont have enough walnut to do another drawer front.

I've used so many different woods already I might just use something else.

It needs a handle for the drawer still, some sanding, scraping and finish as well as adding those filler pieces to the sides, so plenty still to do.

Will post more as I take them.

Cheers

Back