Teapot - for Critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlequin

Established Member
Reaction score
Decided to try some segmenting.
Woods - sycamore,Bocote and ebony.
Hollowed out using the "Munro tool"
Comments welcome

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

Good joints and well finished, I can see a collection coming on, candy stripes, spots, diamonds etc.etc. (hammer)

It works for me :D
Great looking Tea pot with a nice pattern with great looking joins,nice contrasting timbers.
I like the way the handle is only attached at the top with that gap on the lower part.
Only thing i would like to see different is to have summat on the lid,a small finial to lift it off by.
Great work though H.

haha ... I mean, as an actual tea pot ?

My wife loves her cup of tea, and if it was actually usable, I might think about making something similar ! Nice pressie .. brownie points n all !

It just got me thinking, thats all 1

I would agree with Chas. and Paul J . now I wonder who on the forum knows anything about finials ? :roll: :roll:
Lovely piece how many pieces ,and how long to make. =D>
Regards Boysie

thanks all
I did ponder the lid pull/finial but opted out as on the sketches the handle being level with the lid added something to the piece(in my eyes anyway) :)
SWMBO thinks a finial would look better as well

The piece is made of 9 segmented rings each with 12 segments i.e. 108 segments in total.

Very nice work 8) Great design and execution. I love the handle, the ebony-bocote-ebony sandwich works a treat and not connecting it at the bottom looks great. I'm not sure how I feel about the lid, it looks a bit heavy in comparison with the rest of the teapot, I understand what you mean with keeping it level with the top of the handle but maybe thinner with a small decorative knob/finial that could keep the level with the handle may look more balanced? Lovely work though :)

Very nice, very well made, very unfortunate that SWMBO saw it :(

FWIW I agree with the comments re. the handle=great, lid=a bit plain. Perhaps a large flat topped wide 'T'-shaped knob keeping the same overall shape/size as is current [ie the height] but adding a little detail? It could be a mod of the existing lid unless it has been hollowed. Just my thoughts.

Very nice. About how thick and how did you fasten that very nice handle? I think the lid is a bit heavy and could use a small knob as well. Great job though with joinery and the colors.

dennisk":2s7hfu1q said:
Very nice. About how thick and how did you fasten that very nice handle?.

A 5mm ebony dowel is epoxied into handle and pot ,very sturdy if the dowel is turned along the grain.

Back