Ash hollow form "for critique"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Foweraker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

This piece is turned from Ash sanded to600 grit scorched coloured with spirit stains and finished with Matt lacquer.

04.jpg

Critique welcome

Very nice looking form,to me anyhow :D George,and i like the finished effect :D
What size is it,and what tools do you use for the hollowing :?:

Bootiful George. You do some very nice work.

George Foweraker":3h838fyd said:
Hello Wizer.

Sorry i cant seem to find your proper name thank you for commenting i am pleased you like it.

Regards George

People around here call me Tom. Whether or not that's my name, I'm not absolutely sure ;)

I was the one at Yandles talking to MarkS about the Rolly Munro course next week.

As will be obvious from my site I'm hardly well qualified for critique on artistic hollow forms as to 'Form' but I do feel safe in making a judgement on finish and presentation, both of which stand out in that shot.
To my eyes the level of surface preparation prior to 'enhancement' shows through and the grain highlights add another dimension without becoming overpowering.

Hello Tom.
I remember you.
I use the Roly Munro tool and i asked Roly lots of questions about how to use it.
he was realy helpfull and i did a lot of hollowing today and found it a lot better after his help.
I am sure you will enjoy your coarse let me know how you get on.

Regards George.

Hello Chas.
I just viewed your site and yes i can see you are well qualified to judge finish
I always finish everything i do to at least 600 grit Evan when texturing because i dont believe texturing hides anything.
If i am not texturing i sand to 600 grit and then buff off the lathe and usualy finish with Renaissance wax.

Regards George

very nice work
love the finish in general but not sure about how the grain area has taken the finish

the mouth area looks a bit uneven (the edge I mean) - is that just the pic or issue with sanding soft Vs denser wood grain?

Hello George,nice to see some of your work here, not seen any on WoW lately.
Nice form 8) The gilt cream has worked a treat on the open grain, gives it a really nice stand out look. Was this turned from wet(ish) Ash? it looks like a bit of movement around the opening or is the pic just not quite straight?

JT

Hello Johnnie.

I have not put much up anywhere lately as i have received loads of new wood and have been busy roughing out a lot of pieces.
It is not that the opening is uneven it is me not taking enough care when taking the pic.
If you notice the piece is is not level.
Must try harder. :lol:
Thank you for commenting i am pleased you like it.

Regards George

Back