Comments critiqueeetc wanted / needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
This stands 7" tall and is 5" max dia. Made from an unknown wood I rescued from the log pile. It was an experiment that turned out well as there are burrs, odd grain and figuring all over it. Inside is matt black and the outside finished with Ren. wax. The shell is just blue tacked in at the moment. Personally I like it at the moment but thought I'd see what others think

Pete

Hi Pete,

Not sure about the shell, but the vase/form is wonderful. Looks like some archaeological find,

The "Nautilus" should have a small collection of sand/shell/weed debris in the base to support the shell I think, if the item had been retrieved from the sea bed it would not have been so devoid of inclusions.

EDIT: coming back for a second look I think you have the basic shape/proportions/curve blends pretty well nailed.

Pete, rescued from the log pile?
Man, really stunning wood, maybe a pity of the big holes, but this vessel looks very good to me. Seems to me very tricky turning so much air.
Ad

Hi Pete,
I too think the main form is wonderful, but that it is spoiled by the shell. Don't think it needs anything inside.

Malc :D

Pete, well done for turning something with that much of a hole in it. I keep coming back to look at this but there's something not right about it(to my eye).I think its partly the way the foot and neck don't have a sharp enough transition from the main body and I think with this much of a hole the inside needs to be finished better(sanded through the hole),maybe if you glued shells all over the inside covering it so you looked in the hole to see it completely encrusted in them?
Just my opinion though :?

JT

Lovely looking wood Pete,what there is of it :lol:
Not keen on the shell,i think it would look better if you carved some sort of long thin spiral shape in a lighter wood.
I think it would also look better if the foot wasn't there,or reduced in size.
Well done for mannaging to turn it anyway :D

Love it, how you managed with all that air, is a mystery to me though. Personally
I think the piece stands fine by itself and doesn't need anything inside to detract
from the figuring outside. Wish i could make anything that nice.

Best Regards

Matthew

Back