new lathe time this year

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simon_M":2goe4d54 said:
there are mounting holes at each end of the AT1628 lathe bed, however they are NOT the same at each end because the LH end (on the current version) has them about 2" lower. This is both an advantage and a disadvantage.
Just to confirm that this is correct. The mounting holes for the bed extension are 2" lower on the headstock end. Thus the extension will be level with the bed at the tailstock end but lower at the headstock end.
The mounting holes in the legs are at the same height at both ends.

Edit: Changed from 1" to 2" lower

Jacob":2bkc1wyl said:
Ebay bargain brag:
I got a new (old) lathe recently. Arundel J4 Senior. 72" bed, 12"or 18" dia behind headstock with bowl turning attachment. 3 tool slides. Tilting table. Two 6" face plates and one 12". Very heavy, beautifully designed/made and a pleasure to use.
£100 :lol:

Nice! But any tool brag has to be accompanied by a pic, don't ya know da roolz?

Serious point is that big lathes can go for attractive prices on ebay, indeed.

MusicMan":3umansji said:
Jacob":3umansji said:
Ebay bargain brag:
I got a new (old) lathe recently. Arundel J4 Senior. 72" bed, 12"or 18" dia behind headstock with bowl turning attachment. 3 tool slides. Tilting table. Two 6" face plates and one 12". Very heavy, beautifully designed/made and a pleasure to use.
£100 :lol:

Nice! But any tool brag has to be accompanied by a pic, don't ya know da roolz?

Serious point is that big lathes can go for attractive prices on ebay, indeed.
Snaps!
It's the Arundel Senior - identical to the junior but scaled up in every detail, plus sealed roller bearings.
The board is an 8ft offcut of fire door which gives you an idea of the size. Firedoors very handy as large heavy boards for worktops etc. This one was 8x4ft (before it was cut)
The stand is a bit of tat which I already had.
Bought the Patriot chuck, which is an excellent bit of kit but cost nearly twice as much as the lathe :shock: . Amongst other things it's perfect for door knobs. You can turn up a whole set from one piece, with spigots. Then saw them off and for final finishing the spigot fits the chuck with no messing about. 1/2" to 5/8"
nlathe1.JPG

nlathe2.JPG

nlathe3.JPG

nlathe4.JPG

nlathe5.JPG

nlathe6.JPG

nlathe7.JPG

I expect the 12" disc and tilting table will come in handy but they only fit on the inboard side. They are a vestige of the days when lathes had all sorts of add-ons to make them into combi machines, now no longer in fashion (we are all better off and can afford more machines :lol: )

Back