Buying advice - Startrite Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bgray1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, just wondering if any of you could give me some advice on a planer that I’m going to look at.

It’s a Startrite Inca, and i’ve had an offer accepted of £250 which i think is a pretty good price (someone more experienced may tell me otherwise?) When I spoke to the seller, he said the thicknesser was actually an attachment that bolts to the bed (can be seen laying beside the machine in the photos). Have any of you had any experience with this type of thicknesser? Is this an accurate way of thicknessing? And could anyone tell me how to go about setting it up?

Apologies for all the questions but this will be my first workshop purchase!

Many thanks!
7O7z5x3
http://imgur.com/M8KNggi[/img][/img]

I've got one, albeit with a different guard from yours.

Setting it up? Do you mean adjusting the blades? There is so little adjustable with these things.

Hi MikeG thanks for getting back to me.

I was just wondering how easy it is to use as a thicknesser. i.e is it difficult/time consuming to change modes? And does it perform well as a thicknesser?

Any info would be much appreciated!

MikeG.":39jzkoh6 said:
I've got one, albeit with a different guard from yours.

Setting it up? Do you mean adjusting the blades? There is so little adjustable with these things.

Hi MikeG thanks for getting back to me.

I was just wondering how easy it is to use as a thicknesser. i.e is it difficult/time consuming to change modes? And does it perform well as a thicknesser?

Any info would be much appreciated

That's its huge advantage. There is no change-over of modes. You just wind the table to the height you need and feed your timber in. The only thing you need to do other than that is hook up your extraction, if you've got it, above the table rather than below. Frankly, I find it a better thicknesser than planer, because the bed is a bit short to be a really top-notch planer. I stripped mine when I bought it, cleaned and lubricated everything, and it hasn't given a second of trouble since then in 6 or 8 years.

Back