New season Roy Underhill videos available!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Good news for anyone fed up with having nothing to watch on TV - the latest (32nd!) series of hand tool wisdom and entertainment from Roy Underhill is now available to watch on-line.

Titles include: The Anarchist's Toolchest (with Chris Schwarz); Wretched Ratchet Reading Rack; The Troublesome Triangle Stool; Screw Cuttin'; Two Screws for You; Table Joints Rule; The Eleven Grooved Box; and Rise of the Machines.

I'd been keeping an eye on this page which only lists up to series 31 - http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/3100/index.html so don't go there; go here instead http://video.pbs.org/video/2265289533 and expand the 'More Videos' link at the bottom of the page.

Enjoy!

Hi, Chaps

I was waiting untill they get the problems sorted before posting the link to these.
I have been tring to watch them all week.

Pete

Racers":hffs86vk said:
Hi, Chaps

I was waiting untill they get the problems sorted before posting the link to these.
I have been tring to watch them all week.

Pete

Subtitles may be a temporary solution to the time lag :D

Hmm, yes, now I have tried watching some of these I see what you mean - the audio synchronisation is way out - by several seconds. Very frustrating. I hope someone at PBS gets it sorted out - I do get the impression that their website is not very well looked after.

I was very impressed with Roy's separate bench hooks on the LN video. One of those gloriously simple but effective solutions that you'd only ever find if someone told you.

Thanks for the link Andy - that's my tea break entertainment sorted for the next few days.

AndyT":2u6xwt3t said:
Hmm, yes, now I have tried watching some of these I see what you mean - the audio synchronisation is way out - by several seconds. Very frustrating. I hope someone at PBS gets it sorted out - I do get the impression that their website is not very well looked after.

Tis very annoying, few readers of chris schwarz blog have complained to PBS, I imagine theres been quite a lot in total.

I wonder why the new batch are so very out of sync compared to the previous episodes in the same series ... I've had problems myself with 'stretching' audio - a file may start in sync but gradually lag until it's way out; but these files seem to have shortened video somehow. The pixilated episodes appear to shorten the video while the audio goes ahead without problems.

A great pity as there are some VERY interesting programmes here. Douglas's twin screw vice, a screw cutting peddle lathe, C. Schwartz hiding in a box ... Cam orn PBS, gerrit sorrrr id!

I couldn't get them to run at all in Ubuntu using Firefox 16.01 but tried Chromium and they all work fine.

The synching and random pixellation problems seem to have been fixed now. Hooray!

Now that the technical problems are all fixed, I'd like to draw your attention to this one - "The Eleven Grooved Box."

In it, Roy Underhill shows how to make a practical little box with splined mitred corners. I think it's a good introduction to hand tool techniques - and - especially useful for some of us - it provides a justification for owning three Stanley 45s!! :lol:

Also, coming up soon - especially for you, Richard, will be an episode showing you how to forge a holdfast!

There should be a preview video but it is linked to a duplicate of another preview video about a Shaker cupboard. Keep an eye open for it in a week or so.

Hand tool enthusiasts should also watch 'Raising Panel-zona' for a whistle-stop tour round various styles of rebate-cutting planes. I thought it was a good start to answer the question some of us get asked from time to time of 'do you really you need all those planes?'

I expect the holdfast will be of the sort Peter has made before - looks very labour intensive and I notice that Roy has stuck to the Gramercy. I wonder why - those heavy forged things look the business. Will be very interesting.

Also, on a non handtool or even woodwork matter, the episode about the screw cutting lathe is a joy. It makes me want a peddle lathe like that even though I have a Myford that does all that stuff and more and better. Just wish I could peddle it ....

There are still some new episodes popping up from the current season. The latest one "The Shaker Bend" not only gives a good demo of how quick and efficient moulding planes can be, it also shows a very impressive circular saw (with a motor that automatically detects contact with human flesh!) and a solid chisel mortising machine (are you watching Douglas?) - recommended.

I'm not so sure about the quality of cut on his stopped beads though.

Hi, Andy

I watched that one the other day, it did make me giggle, the saw that senses flesh.

Pete

Latest posts

Back