New log pile -how to prep them

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gitface

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Was coming back home this morning and dropped on some Council workmen taking some trees down, So over I pulled and asked what they was doing with the logs and that I was just starting turning.

And low and behold they let me take what I wanted for free :D

After getting three logs in the boot and the rest on the front seat this is what I ended up with:

_MG_0045-1.jpg

Whats the best way to prep them. I'm I best off painting the ends with paint or cutting them down (Going to be fun as they won't go under the bandsaw :cry: )

By the way the chap said they were popular trees.

Mark..........

popular eh!!! :lol:

poplar has never been very popular with me :roll:
sorry i couldint resist.

what do you intend to do with them- dry them wet turn them etc give us a clue

What size are they Mark? Looks like they really need to be at least cut through the heart at least, and the ends sealed if you want to season the timber.

This is where a chainsaw comes into its own, if your going to use raw timber you really need one. If your bandsaw has not got enough height to take a log, what I have done is to screw wedges to the side and slide it through the saw taking off as much as you can from one side. Refit the wedges to the opposite side then slide that through the saw, hopefully you will then have a flatish log that will fit into the saw.

If you try this route just take your time, and make sure no screws are in the way of the blade. If you are wary of using just wedges, you could make up a slide which will do the same job. All you want is some means to secure the log while slicing off some of the side.

the bits you want to wet turn: seal the ends, keep them out of the sun and throw some old carpet,blankets etc over them
the bits you want to dry: split them down the pith in the longest lengths possible- seal the ends and store the same way as the wet turn ones for 6-9 months then slowly introduce more ventilation and move them out of the rain but still keep them out of the sun and keep them low down if possible.

As the logs are green you could hand process them using a bowsaw to cut them to length and a froe to split them through the pith before sealing the ends. Harder work and would take longer than using a chainsaw or bandsaw, though.

tekno.mage

Thanks for the response.

I have sealed them all with paint for the time being (I remember someone on here mentioning that)

I think that I will have to get a chainsaw and sundry equipment in the future but was thinking of hiring one for the day to sort the logs out.

Looking around I found this Link and This

Also HSS do This and This

What are peoples thoughs. The logs range from 6.5 inch to just over 8 inch.

Did have a quick go with a bowsaw on a on of the logs with a branch stump on it (about 2 inch), was also thinking of getting a hand chain saw as I have a friend that might be able to get me one for free
:D

Mark..........

I'd suggest you get on with turning them wet/green - poplar is often a very wet wood when green, so you'll get foot long (or longer!) shavings ribbons flying once you get into the flow!
And because it's green it cuts relatively easily....which is good news for a newbie.

You'll probably have some lengths that you end up keeping to dry out anyhow, cos with a bit of luck you'll get distracted by another 'gift' soon!

Because of a high water content it'll often dry light, if that makes sense?

Unfortunately it tends to lack much contrast between the rings and the growth, which means your masterpieces will end up looking a bit bland, and it doesn't seem to suffer much from colourful inclusions.....but then you get a chance to develop some dying or pyrography skills too!

I'd only consider hiring a chainsaw if you have a LOT of logs to process and then never intend to do it ever again. I think the cheapest day rate in your links was £40. That doesn't seem cheap in my book. 3 times that and you can buy at least a half decent saw and use it for at least the next couple of years.

You'd be better off finding a local tree surgeon and paying him £40 to come and chop up your logs if your going to spend that sort of money. At least he knows his way around the saw and the safety implications.

wizer":33ifmonc said:
I think the cheapest day rate in your links was £40. That doesn't seem cheap in my book. 3 times that and you can buy at least a half decent saw and use it for at least the next couple of years.

But with that chainsaw you should also buy safety gear, which will probably cost more than the actual saw

Duncan

granted but I still think the eventual cost of buying the equipment will pay for itself if you plan to continue using green wood.

I would at least explore the possibility of getting a trained person to do it for you if the cost is similar to that of hiring the kit.

I agree - a chainsaw is incredibly useful when dealing with logs, and will save a fair bit of time and effort.

Before I got mine I was limited to what would fit under the bandsaw and what I could cut up with a bow saw.

Just a thought, but is it even possible to hire a saw without producing chainsaw safety certificates?

duncanh":ttiodjjg said:
Just a thought, but is it even possible to hire a saw without producing chainsaw safety certificates?

no its not- allot of the hire companies i deal with have stopped stocking them due to being legally obliged to train the customer if theres no certificates- you cant even buy them online from certain companies without having the paperwork- rightly so me thinks

Back