My candle stick for critique?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
Well, I have plucked up the courage to let you pick more holes in it if you wish :oops: :oops:

1Candlestick7.jpg

As I said in the comp, it's a piece of a branch of a Russian olive that was cut down in my garden after dying. The wood was really rough on the outside with knobles and lumps all over the place so I knew it would be interesting if it didn't fall apart. For a fairly fast growing tree it is very hard wood and gives a nice finish and the different parts of the tree have very different characteristics. The smaller, pen size, are almost striped yellow.

Spose its not bad really. =D>
Why did you ask twice?
I still want to know what you are going to do with the pretty bit!!!!
Actually my wife likes it and as - obviously when you think about it - she has impeccable taste, it must be pretty good. I like the idea of reversing the spiral. Not sure I will do it yet as I really don't fancy all that sanding.

(Edited as I suspect my sense of humour might not be appreciated by all)

I can't fault it.

Beautiful piece of timber, beautiful craftsmanship and finish. Me and a mate was talking about it and both would buy it and we are both into more Gothic stuff.

There is nothing I dislike about it other then its not on my mantle piece.

Oh and the joint line where you glued the two candle sticks together is seemless hehe

I like it, its not normally my thing or something I would make but great timber choice and craftmanship.
Regards Chris.

John, excellent candlestick, nice wood, oh boy, and of your own garden.
One remark if you allow me, I miss a larger foot with in mind the stability, maybe not possible concerning the available diameter of the wood.
I read in the past some articles about candlesticks, and they told me about the need of a havier foot for stability.
I'm not in the competition, miss simply the time with to many (granddad) outdoor projects.
Regards, Ad

Of course I will allow you to comment Ad and thank you for doing so :D

As you said, it wasn't possible to do a larger foot and I didn't want to use a diffeent wood on it. It is quite stable though, but I don't think it would be so on a small ship in a gale :shock: :shock:

I think that it is just as well that you aren't in the comp, because it gives us a better chance of a win :mrgreen: Still, family must come first and grandchildren grow up too quickly anyway. My middile grandson is 8 on Friday :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think that it is just as well that you aren't in the comp, because it gives us a better chance of a win :mrgreen:

John, as a lone Dutchman, surrounded by all those English would not stand a chance to win....)))
Ad

Ad de Crom":1cvw3kmk said:
I think that it is just as well that you aren't in the comp, because it gives us a better chance of a win :mrgreen:

John, as a lone Dutchman, surrounded by all those English would not stand a chance to win....)))
Ad
Oh I don't know! Look at John. Like me he has abandoned the UK for a more sophisticated and warmer country and they let him win. maybe they are not as zenophobic as you think. This is not an encouragement to make a late entry - he's quite right, there is enough competition already and I've seen some of your work! :mrgreen:

Do you feel lonely? I though all the Dutch were here in France with the English and the Germans.

Jonzjob":1qnc2l44 said:
Wadya mean "Let me win!" I put my heart, sole, heel and foot into that and you say let me win (hammer) (hammer)
C'mon, you can't fool us, we know all about those PM's!!!

Actually the last two were rubbish weren't they? Glad we got out when we did. The sad thing is that their replacements have control of my soon to be collected and rapidly shrinking pension. I will need a bit more practice as I think the turning is going to have to subsidise things for a while.

My wife's Rose nursery had better take off the way I'm promised, then I can actually retire as opposed to merely being of retirement age!

Back