A long lost badge.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
I have been trying to sort out all sorts of bits and bobs in the past few weeks and I found this in my mission to chuck out truck loads of 'truc'. It's the badge that was on my arm when I was a Boy Entrant joining the R.A.F. at the rare old age of 16! I was a piper in the band for about 14 months of those 18 months training to become an aircraft electriction and it's been hidden for all of that time!

I have been trying to think how to present it and a yesterday I saw a 'book mark' that I had cut years back that I thought would do the job? Both the book mark and the base are tiny bits of Russian olive, a false olive with HUGE thorns, that was growing in our garden.

The badge is just about 2 1/2" high. It don't arf bring back some memories, including us playing as the lead to the 11th Nov 1961 parade through Cardiff and playing in the 1/2 time at an international football match at the Cardiff City Stadium.. I bever was very good, but it waas a fantastic experience. I still have my practice chanter. It seemed to stick to me when I left St Athans to join the real world :mrgreen: I have to admit that the best thing about St Athans was the road out of the place :shock:

Edit : - I forgot to say. The wood is Russian olive, a false olive with horrendous thorns on it. The upright is branch wood and it has yellow and dark brown stripes, the base is trunk and that has all sorts of colouring!

Back