Oak Box Slow WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybiter

Established Member
Reaction score
Phew, finally got started, that procrastination can be so time consuming.

At this point the design is going to be based/inspired by Jacobean bible boxes. The upside of that is that I like them in general and if it doesn't look hideous it will be afforded house room. The down side is that while not attempting a strict reproduction, I plan [at this stage] to have the lid and hinges in keeping with the originals, which won't be very impressive as far as the comp. is concerned. Still, may be best to not to over-reach.

I've got some nice Oak that has been 'acclimatising' in the house since Harrogate 2011 [i.e. 'get on with it!']
The Oak board was 23.5 mm thick, too thick for the box sides. I'm too much of a skinflint to just plane them down to desired thickness, so instead decided to resaw and plane into two.

Had to make a resawing guide for the bandsaw.
IMAG0016.JPG

Checking the cut width
IMAG0015.JPG

I clamped a long 'pine' board as a table extension in the thicknesser, earlier tests showed it reduced snipe even on my budget machine.
IMAG0018.JPG

Thicknessing brought the two boards down to approx 9mm, both faces were planed which also removed the slight cupping that had developed in the house.
IMAG0019.JPG

That's it for today, nights last night so late start and early finish today.

Attachments

• IMAG0016.JPG
    IMAG0016.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,647
  • IMAG0015.JPG
    IMAG0015.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,647
  • IMAG0018.JPG
    IMAG0018.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,647
  • IMAG0019.JPG
    IMAG0019.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,647
Until now the only dovetails I've made were two joints in 6"x1" pine for a fold down bed. They were nice and tight and I was pleased with them, but then they were on a relatively giant scale, so I decided some practise will be needed. [master of understatement!]

Didn't have much time so I had a quick go on a couple of bits of soft 'pine' that I had used to try out resawing and thicknessing.

Nice, good condition tools :roll:
IMAG0015.JPG

Hmmm, more practise and firmer wood required. (hammer)
IMAG0016.JPG

All my [cheapo] chisels are square section [morticing ?] but they are nothing special so I may regrind one to fit properly into the dovetails. It'll be a good way of not getting on with it, so it already appeals!

Not very impressive post I know, but hopefully it contributes to the WIP.

Attachments

• IMAG0015.JPG
    IMAG0015.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,479
  • IMAG0016.JPG
    IMAG0016.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,479
Before you grind your chisel. Have a look on youtube for David Charlesworth. You will find a few vids on dovetails and shows you to skew the chisel to reach the corners.

Welcome to the comp :)

Unfortunately I must withdraw from the box comp./challenge.

I hadn't correctly anticipated the time it would take me to produce satisfactory dovetails on a small scale and I have now run out of available time.

I aim to complete my box anyway, and will hopefully remember to update the WIP.

Thanks to Dodge for the challenge which has pushed me out of my comfort zone and will eventually widen my repertoire.

Shame you have to pull out, but can understand why. Look forward to seeing the rest of the WIP :)

carlb40":1qng9vg1 said:
Shame you have to pull out, but can understand why. Look forward to seeing the rest of the WIP :)

Thanks, I'll try not to make it too funny/embarrassing :roll: (homer)

Back