Lambretta scooter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
To go with the Vespa, a Lambretta.

Had to draw my own plans for this one which took a while but I'm chuffed with the result. One for the shelf this one.

Cheated for the wheels and used the lathe but the rest is all scrollsaw. Oak, walnut and an unknown for the panels and mudguard, possibly afromosia? (It was labelled AM1 and smelled a bit pooey/medicinal.)
Finished with Chestnut gloss lacquer, de-nibbed and a quick polish with MC wax.

lambretta.JPG

lambretta2.JPG

lambretta3.JPG

Attachments

• lambretta.JPG
    lambretta.JPG
    692.1 KB · Views: 835
  • lambretta2.JPG
    lambretta2.JPG
    751.3 KB · Views: 835
  • lambretta3.JPG
    lambretta3.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 835
Brilliant, admired the finished product, but the added fact that it's a totally home grown design and build method adds to the kudos entitlement as far as I'm concerned.

I really like these Nev, something different.

I love the finish.

I have travelled many happy miles on an old Lambretta TV with Union Jacks on the side panels, we even went to Bridlington on our honeymoon on it!. My brother in law and me chopped one right back and used it for "scambling" round the fields out the back of his house, till we killed it completely - great fun.

I'm with Brian too about using different machines for different bits. It is predominantly scroll sawn so that surely is good enough. They fit on this forum better than anywhere else so that must surely be the decider.

Phill

linkshouse":2ivmuces said:
. . . . with Union Jacks on the side panels

Ah, you may have passed me by the side of the road then Phill. In the 60's when I had a Lambretta (Vespa's were for girls :wink:) it was fashionable around our way to drive around with the panels removed. I don't know why? Some sort of fad I guess. Anywho, as soon as it started raining you started coming across Lambrettas by the side of the road. Could it have been a panel thing???? :roll: :twisted:

The two designs above look great Nev (even down to the sculptured seat) and the finish is excellent. Well done =D>

Barry

Am not/was never a fan of scooters, and although I of course knew about Lambretta and Vespa, I didn't realise how much difference there is between them until your "side-by-side" post nev. But I must say these really do look excellent, and for a scooter fan (or for an old f-rt with rose-coloured specs!) they'd grace anyone's display space! :D

You should be especially proud of the own design aspects, not to mention wood choice and finish. Very well done Sir.

=D>

BTW, if it means anything, I agree with everyone else here - by all means use whatever tools you have to hand for best results - you clearly know how to use them.

AES

Cheers folks.
It was a bit of a nostalgia trip for me (though possibly not as far back as you gents :-" , the early 80's for me), and wood choice was down to what was in the drawer. I was almost tempted to go for dyed tyres but decided all wood would be a tad posher.

AES":38cq2zol said:
... I didn't realise how much difference there is between them until your "side-by-side" post nev...
AES

Chalk and cheese :) but I enjoyed, or should that be endured both, not a zealot for either or even scooters, had bikes too but definitely a soft spot for scooters.

A tip for spotting the difference, Lambretta front mudguards are fixed to the frame and don't turn with the wheel, Vespa's are fixed to the fork as per normal with bikes and turn with the wheel.

Ah! Halogen days... halogen days. :wink:

Love 'em. The light & dark woods really work well together on those.

Latest posts

Back