Jewellery Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcus

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a little jewellery box in mahogany and english cherry that I've been working on as a way to get back into fine woodworking after some time out.

Because I made it on spec and there were no time constraints involved I decided to do full blind dovetails, just for the hell of it :evil:. I've never done them before - I think I've found the thought of them slightly intimidating but in practice, like most things in woodworking, they're straightforward enough if you take them slowly and methodically. Here they are ready to glue up.

Jewellery%20Box%20progress%201.jpg

There's no question that this has to be the strongest way to do mitred corners if you have the time. The only worrying bit was the inside mitres - you can't see how tight the fit is until you saw the box open, you just have to do your best and trust. As it happened they came out OK. All the joints were glued with hot hide glue [top tip: keep a hot air gun to hand — makes it much easier and avoids the mad rush to do everything before the glue gels].

I always find sawing a box open a bit nerve wracking :? ...

Jewellery%20Box%20progress%202.jpg

The top and bottom were veneered with hot hide glue in a press with heated aluminium plates. Usually I hammer veneer, but this veneer was rather thick. It's quite a fun process.

bookbinding%20press.jpg

Here's the finished article. Nothing much to it, but I enjoyed making it. Shellac finish.

Jewellery%20Box%201.jpg

Jewellery%20Box%203.jpg

Jewellery%20Box%202.jpg

I do like that. Especially the daring approach to the joints - I'd have wanted to glue up the frame as an open rectangle and then put the top and bottom on - are you saying that your top and bottom were fitted into grooves and it was all glued up in one go? It does look a very nice fit.

Thanks Graham, the timbers do seem to complement each other quite well. The mahogany is proper old style mahogany that was left behind in my new workshop when I moved in - must be at least 30 years old as that is that last time the workshop was used for woodworking. It's completely different to the stuff you buy now. Shame there wasn't more of it!

Hands off Pip! (hammer)

Andy, I wasn't clear. I glued up the frame, than glued the veneered top and bottom in after, then sawed it open....

The box is fantastic.

But for me, the highlight is the fact that you chose an insanely difficult, high risk joint that wont even be seen, just because. I am pretty happy when a plain and simple mitre joint lines up without a gap but that is just brilliant!

Latest posts

Back