Jet Lathe - which one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drillbit

Established Member
Reaction score
I am new to turning - never tried it but want to learn. I am trying to decide between the following Jet lathes, all in my budget of 200-300 range, but being inexperienced, it's impossible to decide how they compare and what the differences mean in practical terms.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-awvsl-woodturning-lathe-prod781208/?src=froogle
http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-jet-jml-1014-mini-wood-lathe-prod362338/?src=froogle
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-awvsl1000-woodturning-lathe-prod780615/?src=froogle

I really like the look of the the 1014 mini, and I would get the extension if I got that or the first one, meaning that they would all have a reasonable distance between centres.

My top priority is noise. It really needs to be quietest possible. But ideally I would like to avoid buying something and then finding I need to upgrade as soon as I learn what I can do with it....so would be nice to start with something which will keep up with me as I learn.

Could anyone help me? Thanks very much

I`ve no experience of those particular machines, but lathes( especially new ones) are among the quietest machines you are likely to use in the workshop.
When I`m turning, the main (and most irritating) noises comes from the dust extractor and air filter, which are additions to your kit you would likely need to consider at some point too.

Ian

Have a look at the reviews attached to the 2nd (1014) lathe - the latest one is mine.
It really is quiet - ask my wife :)
The speed is easy to change - I now have the belt changing down to around 15 seconds. Variable speed would have been nice but as I am not planning any mass production I didnt find the extra expense for it to be justified.
Axminster do some very good chucks that will suit the lathe too and their Customer Service is second to none.

Thanks ugs. You've pretty much made up my mind to go for the 1014. Would be nice to save 100 quid and go for the Axminster branded one, but not worth taking the chance of finding it is inferior, or noisier. The jet has more power as well. Now all I need to do is persuade the wife.

drillbit":62kcopoy said:
Thanks ugs. You've pretty much made up my mind to go for the 1014. Would be nice to save 100 quid and go for the Axminster branded one, but not worth taking the chance of finding it is inferior, or noisier. The jet has more power as well. Now all I need to do is persuade the wife.

I told my wife it would be an early christmas pressy .... together with the Drill Press, Pen making mandrels, Gouges, Grinder, Scroll chuck etc that I have subsequently bought...... :) - its all part of a marriages sweet game lol

I turned a 10" bowl on the lathe other day and it handled it perfectly. I havent had any experience to judge the machine against others but I love how smoothly it runs and how quiet it is.

Anyway - good luck and I wish you many happy turning hours.

Keith

Back