Here Goes..bowl for critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaine

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok here goes, my first posting for critique. All comments welcome. This is the second bowl I have ever turned. I was given the elm burr, the bowl is about 6" wide, 1" high and 6mm thick.

Hope you like it.
Elaine

for me i think you have made a great looking bowl and finished nicely too, however i personally dont like the foot, it makes the bowl look unsteady and not balanced, but thats just my opinion.

Only your second :shock:
Number 10 is going to be amazing.
You have done a nice job with the shape but I am with Steve and I think it looks a little unsteady.
What a fantastic piece of wood!! You have done it justice.
Looking forward to seeing more of your work
Rich

Elaine, it is a cracking piece of work for a second effort, you must have had some help from somewhere, a course perhaps? Anyway, I love it and it is a great piece of wood too. I can see what the other peeps think about the foot, I have had same feedback on some of my pieces, but I was taught this way and for me it is probably just habit that I always turn a foot like this.

Steve

You have done that piece of Burr justice Elaine, very well finished for a Second Bowl attempt, you do really like a challenge, choosing a Burr .

Foot is a little too prominent for me as seen in side view, but I doubt it will make the slightest bit of difference to the overall impression of the Bowl in use.

Lovely shape, but echo what others have said about the foot. I'd consider re-mounting it if you can.

Hi Elaine,

That is lovely, super piece of wood, turned to a pleasing shape, with a good finish. =D>

I think some fair comments have been made about the foot.

Malc :D

I would have been so chuffed if my second bowl turned out like that Elaine you should be well pleased with that :lol:
Steve

2nd bowl :!: :!: :!: :?: :?: :?: :shock: :shock: :shock: You're either fibbing of you've had some good lessons :wink:

Grand job!! I agree with the foot comments, don't let the size of your chuck jaws dictate to you the size of your foot!!

Well done =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Richard

Great looking bowl Elaine which looks to be well finished:D
I would agree with others about the foot.
The foot does look too small and makes the bowl look unbalanced and takes the eye away from the main bowl.
Great for a second attempt though.
Good to see you are putting the lathe to good use :D

Apart from the foot How on earth you can make a second bowl as good as that one using a wood that is not by any means easy to work is amazing. Should be some interesting things coming off your lathe in the future.

pete

Super job ! - But reverse it and take off that foot/Tenon ?

I'm delighted all these new posters are showing such wonderful work. Makes me want to up a gear !!!!!

Agree that that is brilliant turning - many of my items after 30 odd years of intermittent turning don't come up to that standard :(

But not sure I agree with the comments about the foot. It all depends whether the bowl is intended for practical or purely decorative use. For practicality, yes, a bigger foot, or no foot at all would be better. But as a decorative piece, I actually like the impression the small foot gives, that the bowl is almost floating unsupported.

So, as ever, aesthetics is in the eyes of the beholders.

Thank you all for your very positive comments. No fibbing going on. Have been practising and heeding the comments about 'not running before you can walk' .
I see what you mean about the foot, looks like a pan lid. Will try with a bigger foot, no foot and then the thirds rule etc. Really enjoying experimenting. Have joined the local turning club where I learned very quickly that my tools were not ground correctly :oops: So have now got that sorted hence a good finish or should I say better finish than my first bowl (which was done under guidance from Reg Slack)
Again, thanks for the encouragment :lol:
Elaine

Very nice job, especially for your 2nd. Bowl.

The little foot, for me at least, is only problem if it is for use and not just for decoration. I do like a flatter finish, not shiny, on wood myself, seems to still look like wood that way.

BTW. I have seen some quite tool vases etc., with smaller feet on them, so IMHO. it helps to raise it up a little off the table. Others will differ quite a lot, but I think we all see a great 2nd. bowl and congrats. for that. Well done.

Hi Elaine.

This is a very good effort and a super bit of burr.
I dont personaly think there is anything wrong with having a foot on bowls it gives the bowl lift and improves its appearance.
I leave a foot on all of mine .
Your foot would befifit from being a little bit thinner.
I think the real problem is that your bowl is very flat.Try and sweep the sides down in a gentle curve to the foot and it will be a big improvement.
Here is a couple of examples of shapes that I think work with a foot on them.
DSC01191_edited-1.jpg

DSC01478.jpg

On this pic you can see how the foot has given the bowl .

redflat.jpg

Latest posts

Back